Replacing WC, help

In an existing small bathroom which I need to refurbish, I have a problem replacing the existing cracked loo. The loo is a low level uncoupled? (not close coupled) suite and has a vertical discharge, I think they used to be described as an "S" trap syphonic pan. The floor of the bathroom is suspended, and the centre of the drain socket is located some 24 cm from the wall on which the cistern is fixed. I require a close coupled, dual flush loo which will fit in the existing set up, I've been looking around at new loos in the sheds etc and they don't seem to have S trap loos any more, only P traps and there isn't the room to fit a 90deg coupling between the existing floor drain socket and the loo discharge stub because it would position the rear of the cistern some 15 inches out from the wall. After much thought and planning, I cannot reposition the suite or re-design the bathroom as the dimensions prohibit this possibility. It's the only loo/bathroom in the house so I cannot contemplate taking up the floor with a view to repositioning the floor drain socket until I've exhausted other possibilities (SWMBO). I think I remember seeing somewhere, sometime, a Loo which had an apron all round the base of the pan which was designed to be sealed on to ceramic tiles (silicon) and within the apron was a vertical discharge stub which was if I remember correctly would approximate to my existing dimensions. I've tried describing it to my local Plumbcentre with little success and have surfed various companies, but dimensions of their products are not easily found. Becoming desperate, can anyone help please?? Regards Tom

Reply to
Tom

Try a "swan neck" pan connector - these are right-angle pan connectors squashed up like a question mark so that the socket that receives the WC spigot is in the same plane as the vertical section of soil pipe.

This is not so easy to describe - look on the BES website

and search for "12712" (use the PRODUCT search - if you use the PART NUMBER search you will find the item without an illustration!)

A good plumers merchant will stock them, usually made by Kwickfit.

HTH Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Berry

Tom.......

I have exactly the same problem, am eager to see replies. Have been told by a builder today that you can get ( and thinking about it, I have seen them either b&q or wickes)a connecter, instead of a plastic 90% it is ,and I can't remember the name he called it... like a question mark shape. Sort of comes out the loo, comes under it self and then drops down. I wonder if that's what we need???

Steve

Reply to
MIstatee

Just done the very same thing Tom. Do as Adrian says with what is called a "Swan Neck" that looks like a question mark from side view, got mine from B&Q (about the £6 quid mark) Good luck. Mike.

Reply to
Mike James

Thanks for the responses, will try the swan neck/ flex coupling route, I didn't know such things existed. Much obliged Tom

Reply to
Tom

The swan neck can be a godsend but I've recently fitted 2 fancy modern toilets ( the kind with a skirt all the way round the bottom) and they couldn't take one because there was some ceramic in the way of the vertical bit of the swan. The standard 90 degree was ok ... but as you say this makes the pan too far away from the wall... So try before you buy.

Reply to
BillV

With me having the same problem as Tom (op) toilet outlet 24 cm away from the wall and reading the replies regarding a swan neck fitting Well........ I went round b&q with a swan neck fitting and tape measure..... well yes it does make it closer to the wall (cistern) but not close enough I,m afraid. Steve

Reply to
Justin Time

measure.....

You can try tilting the swan neck a little, I've found they will still make a good seal even 20 degrees from the vertical - but of course this will depend on your pan and soil pipe.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Berry

I cannot believe that you cant make one of these fit.

Neck Pan Conncector 1123/SN

Reply to
Mark

Nope.......... With the centre of the hole in the concrete being 24cm away from the wall works out using a swanneck that the outlet on the loo needs to be 25cm up to approx 28cm away from the wall. I have checked with numerous new loos in the stores and they are all way off.

Steve

Reply to
Justin Time

Justin Time snipped-for-privacy@nttlliworld.com typed

Then fit one of these first Offset Kwikfit 1124/OS OR build a nice hidden cistern loo, you can get ones with remote pneumatic flush buttons. But not from the likes of B&Q .

-- mark

Reply to
Mark

1cm? I'd be very tempted to pick up my trusty SDS drill.
Reply to
Ian Stirling