Repairing the grout in the shower

I've got a leak into my kitchen ceiling below my upstairs shower and it looks like the grout is cracked around the wall tiles. I have two questions:-

(1) How do you repair this damage to the craked grouting?

(2) How do you keep the grouting around the tiles clean and like new?

Reply to
barontorc

To get a permanent repair, you will need to rake out the existing grout and re-grout. This isn't as much work as it sounds, it takes a few hours.

One of these is very useful:

Regular cleaning with limescale remover helps a lot, but no grout remains 'like new' forever. White grout is doomed to discolour.

One solution is not to use white grout.

Reply to
Grunff

Rake out and regrout. Make sure you are not using grout to seal any gaps that are prone to movement (i.e. the one between tiles and shower tray for example). Use silicone sealant for these joints.

There are a couple of things you can do when the grout is new that will help keep it looking good for longer. The first is to ensure the application of it is smooth without any lumps in the surface - careful tooling or sponging before it dries will help. Next treat it with a grout protection product. This is a good one:

John Rumm

Sounds likely, but may be worth covering the cracked area with waterproof duct tape to see if that stops the leak before you set to. (and if you're a lazy bugger, the tape can last for months! although if you have a SWMBO it'll make her bleat a bit. Or a lot.)

David

Reply to
Lobster