Repairing a cable chase

I've just been chasing lots of cables into plaster and need to start making-good. Has anyone got a technique that *really* hides the path of the repaired plaster? Whenever I've done it before it's always been visible (on painted walls) so I'm tempted to get the wall skimmed.

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

Get a rough file and chamfer the edges of the chase. Then it's just down to skill. After polishing with a trowel, a light sanding with very fine wet or dry may help. But if painting directly on the plaster, it could be the different surface finish or type of plaster that's showing through.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I second the above advice; have done just the same thing myself and can confirm it's possible to get a completely invisible repair that way, once painted.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Did you use bonding and then finish coat or a "one coat" plaster?

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

I just fill and sand... then paint.

If it shows, paint some more..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A ragged edged chase will be a lot less eye-catching than two straight parallel edges, if you aren't good at getting the plaster to line up.

I keep hold of a few part bags of old finish coat plaster for this purpose. PVA (diluted) the slot and trunking if you used it. Mix up the plaster and slap it in and run down the slot with the trowel edge. The plaster bulges out a little after the trowel edge passes over it, and leave it like this until it starts going off (maybe only a few minutes with old plaster). Then you can polish it down level with the rest of the existing plaster face using a wetted trowel edge. You may get a hairline crack down the chase having filled it with finish coat which shrinks, but the paint always seems to hide that OK. New plaster will work too, but it might take a couple of hours between starting the job and being able to polish it off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel