repainting old wooden structure

Yes i know this is a bit of a bodge, but i have an outside structure made of wood, and the paint has pealed, the structure is in good condition, but i don't want to or have the time to remove all the old paint (its quite big). Are there any products where i can sand of the loose paint and then use this product to quickly fill the gaps (some type of very think paint? ) which once sanded will provide a flat surface for a few top coats?

Thanks

Reply to
Chris Crinkle

start with a pressure washer.

That will clear off the flaky stuff

The outdoor primer will do what you want.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suppose one should ask why the original paint failed and whether the next lot will do the same

Reply to
stuart noble

All paint outdoors falls off eventually. Is there a reason you suppose there's a fundamental problem?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Degrading over the decades is one thing but "peeling off" suggests it was never really adhering in the first place. I know plenty of Victorian properties where the original paint is still in goodish condition

Reply to
stuart noble

It was the lead, you know. And, decent seasoned timber.

Reply to
charles

thanks, in answer to the question south facing in strong and direct sun light for many years

Reply to
Chris Crinkle

Any recommendations on brand, a quick look on screxfix people were complaining the primer was too thin?

Reply to
Chris Crinkle

It was probably the timber being seasoned properly so it didn;t expand and contract like a concertina.

From my recollection, lead primer (pink and white) was utter crap (1970s). Aluminium primer seemed to fare better.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's all about the quality of timber. Close grained softwood (aka joinery quality) responds slowly to changes in humidity so tends to be stable. Has to be grown a long way north though. Finland, Siberia etc. You get what you pay for with timber

Reply to
stuart noble