Repainting an old GE refridgerator

Hi all,

I was given an older GE refrigerator that works great, but I'd like to repaint it. The fridge is probably from the '60s if not earlier (rounded top and locking latch on door). The previous owners kept it on their garage, so it has lots of surface rust on top -- but none appears to go very deep.

Questions... does something like this need to be primed before painting? Also, any type of paint I should go with or avoid? I'm not sure what material the outside of the fridge is made of. I'm thinking it's aluminum or some other thin metal. I wouldn't think a fridge this old would be plastic on the outside, but who knows.

Once it's cleaned-up, it's going into my converted garage room for sodas and such. This room is mainly a game room for the kids and such, so the fridge doesn't need to be perfect... but presentable.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments... or stories if anyone else has done such a project.

Alex.

Reply to
Alex

Hi, 3 months ago I painted a 20 year old fridge. It had a little rust that I sanded off and I also sanded the still glossy surfaces for better adhesion. I took off all the handles, trim, etc and taped off anything that I didn't want painted. I went to Home Depot and got 2 spray cans of Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy, Ultra Hard Enamel. 3 coats and it looks great.

Reply to
RVanhoo

Hi RVanhoo,

Thanks for the info! I'll definately go this route. Take care,

Alex.

Reply to
Alex

Hi,

There are some good appliance paints out there.....

White Spray Paint - White acrylic paint. 12-ounce spray can.

A good cleaning and light sanding before painting is probably best!

Probably steel!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff