Render repair

Hi I hope some can one can give me some advice.
My house, I'm afraid to say, has painted pebbledash in need of tidying up. On one wall the painted pebbledash has lifted badly. So I have decided to remove the pebbledash and render from this one wall and re-render leaving a smooth finish. I have managed to remove the render from half the wall, but now its got really hard going, the painted pebbledash for remaining section seems to be well attached.
So my questions is can I skim the remaining pebbledash and render the rest, if so how should I prepare the surface. The area where I have removed the render is very sandy, will a coat of PVA be okay, then render and skim, or should I put a coat to stabiliser on and the PVA or what?
Any advice will be appreciated, as I'm new to this.
Thanks
Gary

I removed all the loose pebbledash back to solid bonded pebbledash. I then rendered over all, skimming over any of the remaining pebbledash. I then left it a month to acclimatise, and painted over. The hard parts are getting a mixture just sloppy enough to stick without sagging, and getting a smooth finish afterwards...I didn't get a smooth finish, but then I think I should have mounted battons and used those to skim it like you do with concrete?
gazmo wrote in message ...

are difficult to get off are probably sound. It's usually water getting behind the mortar that makes it lift.
Thanks, so to confirm, their should be no need to use the Stabiliser on it?
I will use the Stabiliser on the rest of the house before we paint it.
Gary

gazmo wrote in message ...

existing paint finishes, but it's not a bonding agent.