Render/plaster touching floorboards

One of a few issues I have with some work a remedial damp-proofing contractor has done for me is that they have re-rendered a wall so that the render goes down to touch the floorboards. The rendering is not vertical and is thicker at the bottom than further up. It's also thicker than the render that was on the wall previously. This means that the render overlaps with the floorboards by 1-2cm. They stopped the skimmed top-coat a couple of cms from the floor.

When I questioned why they rendered right down to the floor rather than leaving a gap, they said that that's what they always did. This doesn't seem like a good practice to me because it increases the potentially damp surfaces that the floorboards are in contact with, and will make removing the floorboards at the edge more difficult.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on whether this is likely to cause problems in future. Would also like to hear if there are any good explanations as to why the rendering was done much thicker at the bottom of the wall - the wall appears to be vertical, and there wasn't the same problem with the previous render (which didn't appear to be particularly old). There is another small section of the same wall which has been rendered vertically, and it would appear not as thickly as well.

This is in an 1880's Victorian semi.

Reply to
Fresh Cheese