removing old tile adhesive from metal shower door surround-- how to?

any tips for getting some dregs of tile adhesive off a nice shiny (lacquered I think) metal shower door frame?

Background:- tiles used to butt up against the frame so its been tiled upto and probly grouted and siliconed. I can sort the silicone but what methods/tips for attacking the old adhesive/grout without knacking the metal frame?

Vinegar? er... elp!

TIA Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

A steam cleaner may work. Most tile cements soften under water IME.

Reply to
Capitol

Mmm I reckon this is cementitious...

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

If that is the case then a bit of brick acid should do the job. Apply with a toothbrush and rinse before cleaning your teeth!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

As long as the lacquer is intact, otherwise you are going to etch your frame. Have plenty of water on hand to rinse it if the frame starts fizzing.

Reply to
newshound

Or go for something less agressive like a bathroom lime scale remover, in gell form? Viakal Liquid works, it won't be as quick as hydrochloic acid (brick acid) but less chance of it damaging the metal work. It's mostly (5 - 10%) phosphoric acid with a bit of formic acid (1 - 5 %).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice