Reducing road noise in garden with acoustic reflective barriers

No it wouldn't I'm afraid, take alook here:

Robert Laws

three layer approach to try and destroy the level due to frequency changes, see diagrams on

've seen commerical ones in use in the UK, but don't know where they come from. As the fence is close to the road a higher fence/wall of any description is going to give the best result.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Ah! Bunds.

My wife wants one.

Line of sight to our village by-pass is 100m. Pause for gasps of envy at such solitude.... However, this is a river valley and the highway remains elevated for around 0.5k. We have the shelter belt of Leylandi but road noise remains intrusive (best at rush hour when they are queuing). I looked at sound reduction fencing, the stretch on the M1 near South Luton cost around 6million, and would need to be at road level; some 20' up.

A bund would appear to be the ideal solution. Excellent noise reduction, cheap; can use class A waste and charge by the ton for tipping. We already own the land so kindly work out how many tons of fill would be needed for something 30' high and around 1000'long:-)

There is the slight problem that we are upstream and the bund would dam the river.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

plain solid concrete blocks which are 440mm long x 10mm wide and about

20cm high (its a standard block size that i cant recall at the moment!) are a touch over 60p each at my local builders merchant.

I just extended my existing wall from about 80cm high to just under

2m. It is 60ft long (roughly 20m).

I used about 370 blocks - however i also built a buttress every 6-8 foot or so to give the wall extra strength - which uses quite a few more bricks but should stop it falling down so easily! (approx 25 blocks per buttress but my wall is curved and has children climbing over it so really needs it - you could probably go for one every 10-15 foot)

assuming that you need 700 bricks, that would be £441 at 63p each

you are going to want foundations too, in addition to mortar so budget for 3 tons of sand (about £30/ton), 10-15 bags of cement (£3.20 each) and some gravel/hardcore if you havent already got some.

I reckon that puts you at £600ish assuming you did your own labour. You will want a cement mixer too! (£50 off ebay)

Its taken me about 2 weeks - I can now lay about 50 blocks in an 8 hour day, so you are looking at quite a few days of work if you do it solo!.

That should give you a good idea!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Culvert?

Hydroelectricity?

Trout farm?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

I wonder if a sound cancellation system could be used to reduce noise...

Reply to
Clive Mitchell