Red stains on 'marble' statues.

I have a couple of reconstituted marble statues in the garden, one is about

15 years old, the other is about ten years old.

They both have a tendency to develop red patches or 'rashes' at various points of the surface. I suspect this is due to some form of air-borne algae settling and taking hold.

Tried cleaning with bleach and soapy water, but this tends to turn the markings a deep yellow colour. Anybody have any thoughts about a suitable method of removing the stains?

Reply to
The Wanderer

Yes. This is very much what I found on our sandstone.

I found that once I had neutralised the leftover HCL with bleach, it didnt come back. Seems to like acid conditions.

You are very safe with alkalis on marble..acid is a nightmare.

Try caustic as a stronger alternative to bleach, and pressure washing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Lots of marble also contains iron ore, which might be slowly dissolving out as rust.

Phosphoric acid is particularly good at removing rust, but I have no idea what it will do to marble, which is very sensitive to acids, so try it somewhere inconspicuous first.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You need to contact the Catholic Church. They'll buy them for a grotto in Lourdes.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

What's happening to this group?

3 whole days have passed and nobody's suggested an angle-grinder.
Reply to
Steve Walker