Re: WC Smell

Our downstairs WC sometimes gives off a strong 'sewer gas' smell ....

> Alternatively I am wondering if the 90 degree plastic pipe might be not > fully sealed - but absolutely no water leaks.

Ours used to do the same - I thought it was the toilet area smelling, but I finally realised what it was one day when I'd sprayed everywhere with cleaner, and it started bubbling at the top of the rubber joint where air was getting out. I took the bog out and fitted a new seal (around £5 and a hours work), and it has been fine since. I think they must perish/get hard with age, as they get varius cleaning fluids and bleach sprayed around them every so often which cannot do them any good. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I think our builders must have left a brick in the very long private sewer taking our waste. Periodically, and further away each time, the system backs up. When this reaches the point where they broke into a manhole to make the connection, a *pong* develops in our entrance hall.

I think dirty water is running through the pea gravel surrounding the pipe and under the house.

Clearing the blockage solves the problem after a few days.

I really must get down that hole and see what they did wrong!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You have got me thinking now.

When we moved in I had one of those cans of expanding foam to deal with a few gaps here and there.

Where the plastic pipe/ elbow pushes into the soil pipe that comes up through the floor there was a gap between the top edge of the soil pipe and the first row of fins - This looked a bit untidy so I used a bit of foam just as a cosmetic fill. I wonder if it rotted the fins?

I also wonder if it is possible to change the 90 degree bend without removing the WC?

Reply to
John