Re: To vapour block or not

I have an attic bedroom. I have pulled down the existing plaster and

> lathe wall seperating the bedroom from the small roof space (where the > roof is too low for the room, you know the part nearest the > guttering). The wall is approx 1.3 metres high. > > I am going to put some rockwool insulation on the roofspace side of > the new plasterboard I am putting up. My question is, not I need a > vapour block between the plasterboard and the rockwool? Or will the > partial airiness (from between the roof slates) make this unnecesary > as the moisture with evaporate from the rockwool. I am thinking I wont > need it as this situation is virtually identical to using rockwool in > an unconverted attic (but of course on a wall). > > Thanks in advance for any replies. > > James

If the eaves space is dry and well ventilated, then you shouldn't need anything else there. If you intend to board up the back and front of the partition wall, with lagging in between, then you would need some sort of moisture barrier to stop the warm moist air in the room itself from damaging the walls.

Try using foil backed plaster board instead.

Reply to
BigWallop

Yes, unless you use plasterboard that already has one.

If you put warm, damp air on one side of an insulator with cold on the outside, then there _will_ be a point somewhere inside the insulation at which the condensation point is reached.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Use vapour block. The rockwool in the unconverted attic should also have vapour block. Obviously, this is frequently overlooked, but then you do want a proper job, not a bodge? Foil backed plasterboard isn't *that* expensive.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle