Re: Surviving a plague of moths

I like moths: many of them are much more elegant than butterflies. The children and I used to set a moth trap overnight and admire and release our haul in the morning. Collins Gem Guide to Butterflies and Moths is very good for identifying.
Clothes moths are very small, and I doubt if you'd get clouds of them in the garden. Cabbage moths are the night equivalent of cabbage white butterflies; codlin moths are the ones which put caterpillars in apples; and I find mullein moths troublesome on verbascums here in West Wales. All these are shades of brown -- at rest, the mulleins look just like old bits of bark. Also a pest are winter moths, which you won't have just now, as, surprisingly, they appear in the winter: grease bands round your apple trees will stop the wingless females climbing up and creating havoc.
Mike.

I've got them too. I was looking in the DIY stores and ordinary supermarkets for good ol' fashioned moth balls, but no luck. I suppose a hardware shop would be the place - if I knew where there was one these days.
--
*Windows will never cease *

And if such a place, when found, still had any employees old enough to know anything.
--
Roy Millar, snipped-for-privacy@Millstream.ednet.co.uk Use m o u l i n e t @

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 15:18:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Millstream.ednet.co.uk (Roy Millar) wrote:

grubs eating a jumper.
Dry cleaned everything possible. Stuck as much as what was left on a high temp wash (if feasible).
Gave the house a really good hoover. Cleaned everywhere. You'll be amazed at where they will hide(they dont like the light). Where the base of the front door met the carpet was a favourite spot.
We also got these little things that you hang up in wardrobes that are meant to attract then kill them. Also got these little sachets of "stuff" that are meant to kill them as well that I stuffed down the settee which is where I'd seen the most activity.
They dont like cedar wood if you want a more natural method of control. ince you are most likely in Edinburgh then Grays of George St stocks most moth deterrents.
Roy Millar wrote:

I was recently suffering from an infestation of clothes moths, fortunately mostly confined to one room where they were munching the (wool carpet), but escapees were eating my clothes as well.
AFAIK, both of the moth killing chemicals which used to be effective have now been banned, so you can get them in the EU at least.
Out of desparation, I saturated the room in question with aerosol 'fly and wasp killer' from the supermarket, and rather to my surprise it was very effective.
Nick

I'll have to arrange a period of absence if I'm driven to that. Don't trust the results of inhaling such things indoors. (If it kills one kind of animal, it may be unhealthy for others).
--
Roy Millar, snipped-for-privacy@Millstream.ednet.co.uk Use m o u l i n e t @

Have you tried turning all the lights off at night and placing a 500 watt bulb outside in the garden? When all the moths fly to the bulb, then quickly close all the windows. Viola!.
Alternatively, our local Wilkinsons sells effective insect sprays, mothballs insect strips, smoke candels etc.
Or a UV lamp like the chip shops have?
dg
snipped-for-privacy@Millstream.ednet.co.uk (Roy Millar) wrote in message

On 12 Aug 2003 06:00:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dg) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dg) writes:

These are little things about 5-7 mm. long. Don't think they're phototropic like large moths.
Very annoying, they are.
--
Roy Millar, snipped-for-privacy@Millstream.ednet.co.uk Use m o u l i n e t @