Re: Stone flags in kitchen - how to treat? - revist.

Have a look on Google Groups for some of my previous postings.

If the surface has been prepared well, a good quality silicone slate sealer such as Lithofin

will do an excellent job.

You can also use a colour enhancer to bring up the colours without creating an appalling looking gloss which is completely inappropriate to slate.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mmm.

Here are some SUGGESTIONS. Please test first.

(i) Paint and other slovent based stuff. Nitromors is a good start. Never mind the slate, if slate it is - precious little damages it. What you need its to strip it back top bare stone.

(ii) Next stage, treat with brick acid (hydrochloric) if there is any cement based stuff. Use a scourer, rubber gloves, a mask safety glasses and a lot of ventilation and try not to kneel in it. Or just be sensible and cerful and don't breathe the fumes. Rots the jeans first' knees the second. Finish with good mopping down. This will start to dissolve any grout, so be careful. You may need to regriout, byt save that for later.

(iii) Now de-grease an probably strip the patina of ages with hot caustic soda solution. See above for safety details.

With luck, and after a few washes, you will have some dull, but very clean looking slates.

You can now apply proprietary stome fisnishes - I recommmend Litho-Fin products, but only cos I have used em and they work (expensive tho) - and particularly the color enhancer stuff. Seems to be a sort of spirit varnish that soaks in.

You can use that as much as you like ,and top it off with water based acrylic sealers if you want.

If you need to regrout, do it at this stage, AFTER the tiles are sealed because it's a bitch to get off raw slate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher