Re: Solar space heating idea

Page 3 of 3

It was OK but I was asking too much of it. I think the bearings just got knacked from all the backpressure. If they weren't already shot, it would be burbling away happily now that I've split the coil into 4 circuits.

I'm not sure... maybe with the polythene on. It's just that when I first measured it, I got 5 litres in 35 seconds with 7degrees rise. When I split the coil into 4 circuits, I got the same temp rise but with 5 litres in only 15 seconds. Admittedly the first measurements were taken in less good conditions but I reckon that the black pipe will only work efficiently up to a certain temperature - ie: not much above ambient. So perhaps when I get my slower pump, I won't be seeing 10kw any more (although probably getting a better efficiency in terms of electricity used / heat output).
I'll try the polythene at the weekend and post the before/after measurements. :)

This is effectively increasing the collector size so I would imagine I would get a large improvement.

I should imagine you'd definately need much better insulation underneath, say polystyrene and maybe polycarbonate sheets over the top (3m x 0.6m sheets can be had for about a tenner). I don't even know if you'd be able to get DHW temperatures with MDPE pipe though.
I just bought 50m x 10mm copper oil pipe for about 60 quid (not for a solar project!). You could use this on a black corrugated metal collector surface - it could be well spaced out due to the high conductance of metal.
Cheers
Nick.

Polytunnel greenhouses heat up same as glass ones, it works. Only lasts a few years.
Regards, NT

see: a.. Solar PV Sun Trackers b.. Redrok DIY LED Tracker c.. Sohara: Directable Mirrors - A Better Way To Focus The Sun d.. Sunflower Facetted Dishes e.. Solar Energy Return on Investment: Solar Dish Concentrator Performance / TV Satellite Dish Antenna Costs f.. Amonix Inc. - High-Concentration PV Systems g.. h.. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ). Version: 6.0.488 / Virus Database: 287 - Release Date: 06/06/2003

oops
see: http://www.autobahn.mb.ca/~het/energy/solar.html#SolarTrackers