Re: Removing a tree

wrong
the
can
this
kill
awkward
an
Spray it well with Tumbleweed and watch it die over the next two weeks. Right down to the roots.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com
snipped-for-privacy@davis38.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

Saw it off at ground level, then paint the stump with 'stump and brush killer' from any good hardware shop, garden centre or shed. It won't survive.
Nick

Many thanks, guys - I'm pass all those ideas on to her.
Barbara

Go to your local petrol station and fill a container with a litre of diesel. Pour this in the crack and it will kill the tree and prevent anything from ever growing there again.

Mark wrote:

Particularly effective on unwanted leylandii :-)
But only if the local water company don't find-out; if they do, be prepared for very heavy fine!

Oh yeah...and watch where you throw your cigarette butts for a while!!
Dave wrote:

You're prefectly entitled to cut off any of it which overhangs your property provided that you give them (or at least offer) what was cut off.
If all the affected gardens did the same, the unbalancing effect on what remained might be quite interesting.

Dunno, I'd do it myself.
snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk (Mark) wrote in message

Diesel doesn't burn unless atomised or in a "wick"....you could throw a butt in a bucket full of diesel and it wouldn't burn. In fact, I recently used an angle grinder to cut an underground heating oil line that was being removed...bit smelly, but no explosion...

I've passed your messages to my friend who will try DIY. She already has some Tumbleweed so will try that.
She's even planning to repair the small crack herself when she's got rid of the plant. I recently persuaded her to buy a small bag of cement mix so we could tackle another job together, so she already has that.
She's not unwilling to try - just lacking confidence, knowledge and the relevant skills. I've bought her a DIY manual for her next birthday!
Thanks for your help, everyone.
Barbara