Re: Recharging AA bateries

Re-chargables need a special circuit to charge them properly - something that gives constant current for Ni-Cads. This circuit will be built into your phone and torch, so a simple lead is all that's needed. But to charge batteries on their own needs a charger. However, 30 quid seems a bit steep. Have a look at Maplin for special offers - I think I saw one on a flier recently.
--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

βœ–

flat
can
£30.
4xAA's
If you use 'AA' batteries then carry spares! They are dirt cheap, and you can buy them most places as well.
Also - http://www.selectsolar.co.uk/gadget.html solar battery charger for under £12.
Also - http://www.picstop.co.uk/pages/products/chargers/chargers.htm 12V battery charge for under £25 including four batteries.
I am sure you can Google something even cheaper if you try :-)
Cheers Dave R
P.S. you probably pay the money for the charge controller (in the phone IIRC in your comparison) plus the box and contacts to hold the 4 AA batteries.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not strictly true - a 1/10th rate will damage cells after they are fully charged.
--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

βœ–

The difficulty is working out from adverts etc. which chargers really are genuinely 'intelligent' and use the correct delta/V detection circuitry to stop charging when the battery is fully charged.
I believe you can get chargers that work this way for around the £20 to £30 mark now, the chips to make such a charger are certainly available pretty cheaply so the cost of the hardware should be hardly any more than for an 'unintelligent' charger.
Does anyone know of any universal chargers (i.e. for AAA, AA, C and D cells) with delta/V detection at reasonable prices?

βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Not 'universal' in teh sense that they come with battery boxes etc.
But any decent model electric charger will be adjustable in current and have full 'delta peak' detection and be able to charge Nicads at least to within an inch of their life ain about 12 minutes from flat. NiMh is more tricky - the allowable charge current is much less - at best half an hour - and the delta peak is very small - less than 100mV - so you do need to be careful.
I have solved the unuiversaility aspect by replacing in most cases the battery box, and use standard model packs in the radios etc.
Sadly it doesn't wok for TV remotes etc, but then the batteries wear ouit so seldom that I don't bother with rechargeables.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<X-No-Archive:Yes>

Here are a couple that come with a 12V lead...
<http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_idd325
or
<http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id '877>
HTH...
--
Dave Cunningham dave at upsilon org uk
PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC

<http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products _idd325>
Got this one and it works very well.
Jo
βœ–

flat
dash
can
£30.
4xAA's
<http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products _idd325>
<http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products _id'877>
Thanks to all who responded. The 7dayshop seems to be the best value. I'll try them.
Cheers John
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good anything rarely is. But if you make heavy use of these sort of batteries, a good charger will soon repay itself in the longer battery life.
--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

βœ–
John Laird wrote:

Th eart of charging small cells is nowhere as danaced as in teh toy plane and car department.
Visit your local model shop.
Ther are chargers upo to £600 that will charge all sorts of conbiantion sof cells, simultaneiusly.
A decent FAST charger for running off 12V should be less than £30.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Oh, I'm aware of that. (And I'm presuming that weird word in the middle was supposed to be "advanced".) Is it fair to say that rapid charge capabilities are probably of greater importance than charge cycles ?
Your £600 charger might be a little ott for boosting 4xAA cells however ;-) It's probably more the thing you need when the flight-line director tells you you have 20mins +/- 2 to get your 72-cell(*) V-bomber ready for take-off.
(*) Or whatever. Didn't see many electric behemoths up at Cosford this year.
--
John

Add pictures here
βœ–