Re: Insulating the outside of an exterior wall?

yup

Reply to
NT

Bearing in mind the extra thickness (render, any frame, etc) do check that won't narrow the passage too much, e.g. will you still be able to get wheelie bins, wheel barrows, etc through without bumping the walls?

Going from nothing to 25mm will give you a significant gain. Going from 25 to 50 to 100 gives progressively less benefit, which you should weigh up with any associated inconvenience.

Having the thermal mass on the inside and the thermal insulation on the outside can be a good thing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is the end wall of the passage, so it would be shortened by

100~150mm which will cause no problem with the bins.

Point taken.

Hmm, interesting point hadn't considered that.

As it doesn't seem to be a totally stupid idea and wont cost much, I'll give it a try.

BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

Just following up to say I did this and it has worked a treat! It was very easy to do, took me a couple of hours and made an immediate difference to the temperature in the kitchen. Previously that end of the kitchen was always at least 3 degrees C lower than the other end, even though the radiator was at the cold end. Now both ends of the kitchen are the same temperature even when the radiator is off.

I still have some work to do insulating a small piece of flat room and then the kitchen should be the same temperature as the rest of the house. :)

Thanks for the advice, BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail