Re: imperial grub screw

You may still find imperial grub screws at the more 'old-fashioned' ironmongers (ie: not B&Q) or more established machine equipment suppliers (ie: not Machine Mart). I have a few in stock in my workshop, and I bet if you know anyone in the toolmaking trade they'll be able to help you. But it will probably be easier to cut a bit off a set screw or bolt, and saw a slot with a junior or standard hacksaw. Beware that it will be 'softer' than the proper thing though. BAH

I could be mistaken, but I'd have expected 1/8" x 40 (1/8 BSW) would be too fine for that purpose. Could it be 4BA, perhaps?

Take the door knob to your nearest engineering suppliers and get them to try different screws until they find one that fits. Then buy at least two per handle and a small quantity of matching nuts -- you'll need the nuts to restore the screw thread when you cut the machine screw(s) to size...
--
< Paul >