Re: D.I.Y. CU ..?

'Doing stuff up' can be both a pain and a pleasure. I found a cycle

> in a ditch (in a sorry state) when I was 12, handed it in to the > Police station and 6 weeks later it was mine ;-) Four weeks after that > I had rebuilt it and was cycling it around the South Downs with the > School cycle club. My Mum and Dad *might* of bought me a bike if I had > asked but I never thought to and got a lot of pleasure doing up then > riding this one for the next 4 years. Then I bought a Moped off my > school teacher for a fiver with a stripped spark plug .. repaired that > and rode it for the next 8 months till I was given another moped (NSU > 'Quickly') in a wheelbarrow ..... then there was the Messerschmitt and > the Morris Minor van for 15 quid and another 5 quid for the gearbox I > fitted at night, in the car-park, in the rain .. etc .. ;-) > > I find that by buying something that has been 'neglected' I learn much > more about that thing when restoring it than anything I might buy new > and running?

I like doing stuff up too. Its much more satisfying, and one (sometimes) ends up with something of far better quality. And sometimes not. Certainly done a few memorable things along the way.

p.s. What about the wooden, live and neutral fused CU I just took out > of my Dad's workshop .. I don't suppose that had a BS stamp?

both poles fused... BS1 maybe? BSes do go back a long way, lots of round pin stuff was BSed, BS415 IIRC.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

[T] Indeed .. I find it brings on a new challenge and a chance for more learning. The missus knows that when I latch onto a new 'project' I can't be sidetracked ;-)

I think whith some of these things a 'common sense' approach often yealds a workable solution.

Like this CU I was going to work on .. if you took the box off most CU's what would you get .. a bunch of MCB's / RCDS etc sliding up an down a tin rail where the electrical (stamped out) bus bar offers the greatest physical support between modules? A couple of strips of steel or brass with screw clamps to provide electrical connection for neutral / earth etc?

Not exactly rocket science and if done neatly and with full regard to loadings (and using BS stamped components) what's the problem?

Just thinking out loud ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Approval and liability. That unfortunately is the problem. Are you sure steel conductors would be OK?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton