Re: Cat 5e Cable????

Does this mean that I could connect a BT Infinity router in the same

> location as my existing router and have a reasonable expectation of it > working? (Locating the router in the hallway and re-wiring the house > with Cat5 data cable is simply not going to happen).

It really depends on just how the internal wiring is performing. It could, for example, pick up interference from nearby other cables, etc. All you can do is try it and see. I'm using my BT infinity Wi-Fi connection to a TV, and that works fine. Cabled is probably faster on paper - but in practice few things can take advantage of this max speed anyway. Although I do have CAT5e to this computer - which can't do Wi-Fi anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's a tester on the BT site (perhaps only after you log into your account) which is advert etc free. Can show the difference in speed between your cable and Wi-Fi connection too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Aye well within limits. I get about 1 Mbps difference depending on the ime of day the sync happens. Daylight might be a tad over 7 Mbps, night a tad over 6 Mbps.

Hundreds. VDSL2 (up to 76 Mbps) doesn't start to seriosuly drop off until 300m. At 600m it's about 50 Mbps and 25 Mbps at 1200m. Still no effing good if you are 3500 m from the cabinet though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice