Re: A water meter fiddle?

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:40:46 +0100 someone who may be TheOldFellow wrote this:-

He doesn't own it, the water company does.

No they don't. Water is not owned by anyone, it is a common resource.

What one can argue is that they do own the means of collecting this common resource and supplying it to people in a convenient form.

Reply to
David Hansen

... it could be worth

You're despicable on more than one count.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Lol and the UU are not?

My water rates used to be £25.70 a month,the bill stated what I was paying for...even the rain that came down the gutter. I then got a meter in and reduced the bill by less than half of previous unmetered bill it would seem those on umetered water pay for sewerage,sanitation,piping ect. And when you go on a meter you only pay for what you use.

Work that one out!

Reply to
George

No, you pay for sewage and dranage services too.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No you don't.

Reply to
George

The message from "George" contains these words:

My water bill for the current year (based on rateable value) works out at £16 per month.

Easily.

You are nowhere in England or

you are not connected to main drainage or

you are wrong in your assumption above.

Being connected to mains drainage and not paying a sewerage charge in England would mean that you were defrauding the water company.

Reply to
Roger

As opposed to electric...they're all musicaly minded...even the meter is on the fiddle. :-p

Reply to
George

Not sure what terminology it is when the gas meter is done, maybe no ones lived long enough to name it :-P

-- mart@home

Reply to
Martin

You do here. Two different companies as well, one supplies, and another charges for removal.

Reply to
John Rumm

Funny you should say that, the law would tend to support that hypothesis. I don't know about years later, but some time later ...

I.E. TWOC-ing is not theft.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

He is taking potable water (fluid category 1 in the language of the Water Regulations) and returning grey water or soil (fluid category 2,3,4, or 5). He is, therefore, permanently depriving the owner of the substance he received.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

You're wrong. I do :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hang on a minute, this is uk.d-i-y! Surely the discussion should be about what might happen to the lower ball valve which the op is attempting to submerge in a couple of foot of water. Surely aren't designed to do? Would it survive?

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Not permanently. It can be cleaned.

Reply to
Mogga

Nobody can deprive anything from anyon permanently. Nothing lasts for ever.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They would survive OK. My mate's farm has all his water troughs fitted with two. The lower one is normal, and the upper is fed with water from a holding tank supplied from waste warm water from a heat exchanger that's used to partially cool milk. (that was what helped with my initial idea)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Shhhhh, I took a gamble that the normal suspects wouldn't work that out - I was hoping to create another crescendo of judgemetal protests, (and assorted referenced to Cumbria, Muslins and Maggie T) it worked pretty well :-)

No, I don't think it would be worth it at all, but it was funny!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

So the charge would be criminal damage rather than theft?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But only if you are in a conservation area! (where changing the colour of the water without permission would be disapproved of!)

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Julian" saying something like:

I know exactly what would have happened - the Usenet Ninnies would have nay-sayed the idea and poured so much cold water on it that BW would eventually have dropped it.

Thank f*ck Mitchell had no usenet access.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon