Rats

I got a rat that raids my compost bin, one of those conical plastic things. If the rat is in the bin when I put compost in it goes out of a tunnel and shoots up the garden. I have been given some poison and lent a dispenser, sort of tubular thing that the rat is supposed to go in and take the poison. I have also been lent a trap. I was hoping to catch the rat in the trap then I would know for sure that it was dead well after I put the trap including rat in he gold fish pond to drown it it would be but not a sniff of anything in the trap yet. I gather that meat is the best bait in a trap. Am I doing the right thing and hopethat I either catch it or poison it or is there anything else that I can do.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I had a Rat - huge bugger - not a conical plastic one like yours....

But just phoned the Rat man at the council - they sorted it all out for nothing. Laid bait - looked for rat-runs - came back to check three times etc. All free. Dead rat.

Reply to
phil

No personal experience with rats, but watching a prog. on the telly. (a life of grime) the council rat man baited a trap with a well cooked (almost carbonised) sausage.

Reply to
soup

1) Whatever you do you won't rid your vicinity of rats. They are everywhere, if you catch or kill one more will fill the space -whether you see it or not. One rat is only a small part of a larger colony. 2) If rats are going to your compost bin you're putting stuff in it which you shouldn't.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But don't let that discourage you - it's still worth the effort to kill it, if only as an example to it's furry little siblings...

Reply to
Steve Walker

Sorry Mary but you are wrong. Rats are very partial to apple and potato peelings. This from my local rat man who recently cured a rats in a plastic compost bin problem for me.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

That proves my point. Why should you put those in a compost bin? It's a waste of food :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ok, just what delicious recipies do you have for rat?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

LOL! I've never caught one to eat, I suspect they'd be fiddly. Squirrel is delicious, roasted, but it's the devil to skin.

People have eaten rats in this country, there's no reason why we shouldn't - except that we're fortunate to have a vast range of other protein sources. In other parts of the world people aren't as squeamish.

We used to eat horse until the shop closed :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

So make sure you put down plenty of poison.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Buy a cat.

Reply to
Jay

Rat on a stick, my lord ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As the SAS ban their men from eating rat (the only thing they ban) because of the disease risk, I suspect there is.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I was told that a sausage was good bait bit I have been putting uncooked sausages in the trap.I will burn them to a crisp now.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

One point to be aware of is that rats are very conservative creatures and hate change. If you are going to use a trap put it down unbated for a week or so, then bate it without moving its position.

HDRA suggest that to discourage rats you change the ambience of your compost bin from time to time; even (they say) little things like leaving garden furniture next to the bin and moving it after a day or so and replacing it with something else. If you can see the run, put various different things on it and move them around.

Sadly, I don't have rats visiting my bins (despite the fact that I put things into them which would make Mary's hair curl, though certainly not peelings which I never create) so cannot test the HDRA method. Perhaps you'd report back in due time?

Douglas de Lacey.

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

I can't speak for the what the wife is putting in the bin although I do repeatidly tell he not to put waste meat in the bin so it should only be vegetable waste. Stangley I only noticed the rat for the first time after putting some waste in after a 3 week holiday so there had been no waste gone in for a month. Maybe it had set up home in there. There was a very overgrown and derelict house cleared at the rear of mine a few months ago which is where I assume the rat has come from.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

:-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A compos tbin is a good place for lots of animals to nest in, it's warm (or should be), sheltered from rain and wind (or should be) and often undisturbed for quite long periods.

I don't know about that. Can't see why rats should live where there isn't food.

But I repeat, there won't only be one rat. They're not loners and breed like ... well, rats. You might have seen only one, that's a different matter.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ooh, do tell - although I don't want any more curls, thank you :-)

I put in some citrus peel (can't candy all of it) and banana skins after the hens have finished with them.

Disturbance will discourage most rats.

Well, I suppose disturbance will discourage most animals ...

I'm a member of HDRA but haven't seen that advice - all that means is that I haven't seen it, not that they don't advocate it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If the compost bin is sitting on soil then it can turn into a wormery (as the leaflet suggests). But a wormery is a luxury hotel for a rat, damp but warm for shelter, (and to breed), with live meat just a snout's reach away.

The leaflet that comes with these bins seems to totally ignore any potential problem with rats. Site the bin on rubble or concrete slabs, anything to stop a rat from digging under. If required, seed it with soil and worms.

Reply to
Tony Williams