Radiator painting or spraying ?

I've rubbed down a raditator, primed it with anti-rust primer for metal, (all I had and is suitable), rubbed down flat, now I'm wondering if I should paint it by brush, roller or spray. I saw some plasti-cote ? radiator spray, white gloss it was for £4.99 and one can should cover the radiator and give a smoother nicer finish I think.

What do you reckon is the best way to go ?

Reply to
Pete

I paint them with a brush using normal gloss paint, which produces a perfectly acceptable finish.

Reply to
Huge

If you want a gloss white one, buy a new radiator. IMHO, no painting ever gets close to matching the factory finish. Only reason to paint is if you want a different colour.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Spray, surely. But however you coat it wont be as durable as a new powder coated rad.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

My radiators are old I used to paint them with white gloss but over time that yellowed

As the walls in my house are textured paper and matt emulsion paint I have painted the radiators the same colour as the walls often using the same paint (rather than the all purpose paint of the same colour). Not especially durable but it is not my habit to bounce sharp objects off of the radiators & repaint is dead easy. 2" brush was fine to do them with

Works for me but may not suit others

Regards

Reply to
TMC

I got a nice finish on some radiators recently using water-based silk finish and a small roller. Loaded very lightly, the roller worked nicely into the corrugations and didn't leave ridges and streaks like a brush.

Took two coats, but was worth it.

Reply to
Skipweasel

I sprayed my bathroom one with Hammerite white aerosol, I was surprised at how well it came out

Chris

Reply to
Caliban

Gloss, use a mini roller. The results are excellent.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

In my experience white gloss always turns a shade of yellow after a while.

In the past I've used both methods but I've always got better results with radiator enamel applied by brush. Its a bit more expensive but does a good job. You may get even better results if you use a roller.

I think the enamel I used is made by International Paints. I bought it in B&Q or Homebase. B&Q would probably be cheaper.

If you follow the instructions with the spray you should get a nice finish but it sounds a bit expensive, especially if you are painting a lot of rads

Reply to
Wesley

From reading seems I can't go far wrong giving it a go with a mini roller (flat roller or emulsion one ?) .. and some radiator enamel. I think a few thin coats will looks good. The amount of time I guess a new rad might have been better, but I tight as a ducks bum. I can't verify that though having never looked, or likely to for that matter.

Reply to