Putting decking over area with manholes

I'm thinking of decking out the back of my house. Problem is there are

3 manholes which will be covered by it. Is it sufficient to make sure than the joists do not inhibit accessing these and by screwing the decking down will ensure that they are accessible (all be it with a little more hassle). Or do I have to make accessibility more straightforward by putting trap doors for each of them which will look pretty unsightly by my reckoning. I would prefer option 1 if possible but would also like to make sure I do it right. (are there any regulations on this??)

Also any tips on finishing the decking around drains and downpipes?

Cheers Sean

Reply to
Sean

I think that is perfectly acceptable.

Next time anyone goes to Brighton, visit the fountain in the Old Steine. The fencing on the eastern side of the grassed area has just such a removabvle section (about halfway along). What's under it? An entrance to the sewer system in that area (actually, to a large overflow chamber). If it's good enough for them...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I just remembered.

In the same house the previous owner had literally concreted over the top of a manhole cover for the sewer - at the front of the house this time. No way that manhole cover was accessible without a road drill.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Which is fine until you have a blockage.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher