Pumped sewage

Anyone any experience of a domestic pumped sewage systems where the "effluent" is pumped from a lower holding tank up to the main sewer in the road? A bit like an enormous macerator I suppose.

I'm contemplating buying a house with such a beast (make / model / age unknown as yet).

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:43:54 -0000, "Andrew Mawson" mused:

Best to be avoided where possible, but if the dwellings sewer is lower than the main sewer then either you do it this way or have someone come and manually empty it from time to time.

There's a few properties round here that have them and I've not heard of any major problems with any of them, apart from minor blockages caused by lack of service\broken pipes\dodgy installation. Some of these are a few years old, some are 20 odd years old.

Budget for a service if it's not got a history of regular ones, loads easier to work on now rather than when it's backed up, dark and raining.

Reply to
Lurch

No personal experience but I know a cottage up the top that has one. It is relatively trouble free but if something does break down, (or a power cut lasting a few days), then it is panic stations in case the holding tank overflows.

We used to be on a septic tank and (imo) if you have any sort of private sewerage system then you are almost certain to end up diy'ing the regular maintainance and various repairs. No great problem but, (like exhausts on cars), they always seem to need working on in the depths of winter.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Ours always fails on Xmas Eve.

:o(

Reply to
Huge

Is the pump anywhere near the chimney?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I know whole estates that have them fitted, not because of height, but because the main sewer/treatment works cannot handle the extra flow during the day and only allow the extra load at night.

There seems to be a persistent rumour that it doesn't work out too well, though I've never found out why. I guess one problem is that if it goes wrong, then you end up paying for the repairs.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I guess it is a good negotiating point, but I don't think it would put me off (subject to trying to establish "condition", as others have said). Remember that they are very widely used by the water industry so it is a mature technology. The pumps are also designed to be as easy to change and service as possible. I guess it it were mine I would wonder about having a backup.

Reply to
Newshound

said).

change and

nice pun - backup ! Spare pump or pile of .....

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Take a google at Flyght Pumps. They are one of the better manufacturers for this sort of device and have a long established experience base in all things involving pumping shit amongst other nasties

Reply to
cynic

You need to find out if it takes anyone else's turds away as well as your own - I recently worked on a house, one of a small group of houses (about 6 or 7) and this bloke had the main tank and pump in his back garden - it had it's own electricity supply and meter in a box (complete with orange flashing light!) beside his lawn. The electricity and service charges were split equally between all the residents and it's written into the deeds or some other legal document that they all have shared responsibility...he's lived there 7 years and it's needed servicing twice, odours - none, although it whiffed a bit when I had to remove the cast iron lid so I could raise it up by 2 courses of brick so that it was level with his lawn...the pump was a fairly gigantic thing, about 4ft long, covered in s**te and just dangling there on a length of chain

Reply to
Phil L

A Saniflo on steroids......

During a recent trip to France I looked in several bricolage sheds. Not one had a Saniflo.

I am convinced that this is a secret weapon of Napoleon against the British - revenge for Waterloo (IYSWIM).

Does your vendor look anything like the man in this photo?

andyrdhall

sewer in

No but he is moving to Madera so maybe its a French / Spanish pact

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Obviously decent sewage pumps work..the main problem with a saniflo s not the pump, but the macerator. It isn't powerful enough for everything you can throw at it.

If you have the land space and suitable water tables installing your own sewage unit - like a biodigester - is possible as well. I have one and I get a water rebate, and it only needs emptying every few years and cost about 6 grand to put in..happy to simply dump its outflow into a ditch..no smells at all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I saw one yesterday.

In the Ladies/Gents/Disabled toilet at a Women & Childrens section of a hospital.

Guess what sex most of the users are going to be??

Guess how large were the "PLEASE DO NOT PUT........" signs on the wall.

I wonder who thought it was a good idea to install a saniflow in such a location (with the obligatory waste going uppards pipe).

Reply to
cpvh