Pump for stored rainwater

Afternoon all.

I have a plan. Well, several actually, but this is so I can setup an irrigation system for the garden running from stored rainwater. To get things running though I think I would need a pump that would start when I turned on the tap of the waterbutt (or whatever) and off again afterwards or if the water level go too low/ran out. Does anyone know what I should be looking at pump wise? Would it be fitted inside the water butt or the other side of the tap?

Has anyone else done this? Also, can I use a loft header tank for the water to give me larger storage? Or would something else be better?

TIA

David.

Reply to
David

I pump all my domestic water from a 1000 liter tank fed by a spring. The pump has a pressure switch on it. Pressure drops, pump switches on. Actually I have a pressure tank too that is effectively a reservoir of under pressure water so that the pump doesn't kick in every time I fill a glass of water.

I got my kit from Andrew MacWilliam who was very helpful via phone and email when I was deciding what I needed and then working out how to set it all up.

Rob