Programmable valve for central heating?

I'd like to install a valve that will cut off the central heating supply to one zone within my house, at certain times of the day.

The zone I refer to is part of the house that I rent out as a flat. The tenant works during the day and is at home in the evenings and weekends. I, on the other hand, live in the main part of the house and need the heating on 24/7 for most of the winter, as I work from home. It seems wasteful to supply heating to my tenant when she's not at home.

Are such valves available? I've seen the simple elctrically-operated on-off valves, but do they sell them with programmable timers?

If so, and anyone recommend a good-value one?

Thank you

Mike W

Reply to
Mike W W

It is called a 2 port zone valve and is widely available. You could add one to your existing system as is, although it is better to full "sub-zone" so that each zone is completely independent.

Use a programmable thermostat in the flat to control the zone valve. The microswitch outputs from the valve will only be required if you properly sub zone using S-Plan-Plus or other arrangements.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from Mike W W contains these words:

I don't know of any programmable valve as such but programmable thermostats are generally available and it is easy enough to install one to provide an independent zone. I have a cheap one from screwfix controlling upstairs and a better one (Danfoss TP75) controlling the downstairs as I am usually at home all day. Sounds as though you could do with such a setup yourself as it doesn't make sense to run the house at the same temperature for 24 hours a day. With the domestic hot water that makes 3 zones for me but you can, within reason, have as many zones as you like.

Reply to
Roger

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:38:16 +0100 someone who may be Mike W W wrote this:-

As has been said, two port valve controlled by a suitable programmer. Electronic thermostats with PID control are probably best for this sort of situation.

It seems wasteful to supply heating to your house overnight when you're sleeping. Since installing cavity wall insulation I have tended to turn my heating on only for an hour or two in the evening. The heat is retained enough to get ready the next morning.

It may be worth zoning the main part of the house into that which you use while working and the rest. Each zone can be controlled independently.

Reply to
David Hansen

Ah - a Rigsby valve ;-)

Reply to
dom

They're pretty much a commodity item. i.e.

stats are more personal preference. They have different features, appearances and prices.

You misunderstand. All 2 port zone valves will have a microswitch output. However, you'll only need to wire that up if you properly subzone the system. Remember that if you don't properly subzone, then the tenant's heating will only come on when BOTH your heating thermostat demands heat and the tenant's thermostat demands heat. If you have independent control, then your heating could be entirely off (i.e. you are on holiday) and their heating will still work.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

elsewhere. Thank you! Now I don't mind buying two of them!

I already have two of those; I ordered two by mistake once. Now I seem to have a need for both of them. Good job I never got around to sending the surplus one back...

Mike W

Reply to
Mike W W

The message from Mike W W contains these words:

I can't think of any reason why not off hand. If there is I am sure someone will be along in a minute to say so.

Reply to
Roger