Problems with LV lighting

My house is 2 1/2 years old - I have LV halogen lighting in my kitchen, 8 lights in all. Each light has it's own transformer. On one light the transformer keep failing, I have just replaced it for the 4th time in 2 years. What could be the reason for this? I am using transformers from Screwfix and I was wondering whether I needed better quality ones (if so which?). I was also wondering if I would be better just removing all the transformers and putting in mains halogen light fittings instead. I presume that would be quite simple as each has it's own transformer or is there something I need to consider?

Angela

Reply to
AK

Is this transformer perhaps located somewhere where it is getting too hot? I am guessing but perhaps there's something environmental about that particular transformer which doesn't affect the others.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

The transformer should not be that unreliable, which suggests a problem with the way it is installed (probably overheating as Andy suggested). Check it has enough air space round it and it is not wrapped in insulation etc.

You did not mention if you have also replaced the bulb in question. If that has remained the same it might be worth doing that... Check also the type of bulb, since using A dichroic lamp in lamp fitting not designed for it will result in the fitting getting hotter than expected.

I would not swap LV for mains halogen - the quality of the light is not as nice (less "white") and you will just be replacing bulbs every five minutes instead.

Reply to
John Rumm

kitchen, 8

no way, Lv has every advantage over mains halogen. Including far less premature bulb failure problems. If you had mains in there this would be happening with 5 of them, not 1.

NT

Reply to
bigcat