Problem spotted after oven install

Hoping someone can help with this one. SWMBO ordered a new built-in double oven to replace a 15 year old existing one. No problems getting the old one out and the new oven in and the mains cable was in excellent condition. It is a 3 core, 4mm, Butyl multistrand fitted during a kitchen refit 3 - 4 years ago. The old oven had a maximum rating of 5.5 KW with everything on.

So far so good until we used the new grill for the first time and saw the energy meter showing 6 KW. The manual says to use 6mm T&E cable and I just thought this was being overcautious but I'm not so sure now.

The RCD is 32 Amp and the whole circuit up to the cooker terminals is

4mm T&E so, do I have a major problem rearing its head?
Reply to
James Noble

The short answer is no, not a problem.

The OSG says, a 32A circuit is usually adequate for household cookers of a rating of up to 15kW (65A). This is because diversity plays a significant part in reducing the average load. So the diverse load for a

6kW (26A) cooker is taken as 10A + 30% of the remaining actual load. So in this case 10 + 30% of 16A = 14.8A. Add another 5A if your cooker point has a socket.
Reply to
John Rumm

Tabby

original measurement of the grill power was far too high due, as I now know, to failing batteries on my power meter, I found the rating plate this morning and it says that the maximum load is 6.2 KW so using the formula this would mean approximately 18 Amps if I have done the maths correctly.

As it happens the oven is being replaced tomorrow as it has 4 faults on it, sticky light switch on main oven door, scratched inner door glass, rumbling fan and a grill that is wired up incorrectly. Considering it retails at over GBP 800, I'm not impressed!

Thanks again!

Reply to
James Noble

6.2kW =3D 26A I'm not sure you'll gain much by changing it.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Yes 18A is the value that applies for diversity. However you need not worry about that in this case as even without diversity you would be running at

27A which is below your 32A supply. Quite often the manuals are written to cover the manufactures arse and overengineer things.

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth