Printers Are Funny Things

Good reason not to buy a Mac.

Unix printing has always been on the basis that the application never talks to the printer directly. Most cheap printers pretty much rely on the application talking via a tightly coupled driver directly to the printer. Thats te first priblem.

The second one is PostScript. The original Apple Laserwriter had about 4 times as much processing power and RAM as the apple computers that drive it. And cost more.

At some level the printer subsytems has to either hope that the printer understands Postcript, or do the conversion. The paucity and quality lack of CUPS drivers for many printers to do that, means its a bit hit and miss as to whether half of the cheap stuff out there will ever work with a Mac.

When buying printers for a Mac, expect to spend twice as much, and if possible get one with native postscript and a built in network connection. That at least means its capable of talking postscript without a particularly direct connection to the host machine.

Macs are wonderful at typesetting, IF you spend the money to get a top quality printer. If you don't. they are utter crap, and since typsetting is the only thing a mac does well, apart from looking cute, unless you are in the graphics business, or have no needs beyond word processing/spreadsheeting web and email, and of course medai s**te like phots and itunes, don't buy a mac.

This MAC here, was my wife spare machine, sio I thought 'lesy see what Macs can do'

It turned out to be 'not much'

I bought loads of RAM - twice as much as the PC, and a new hard disk to put OS-X on. Ok ebay was cheap enough.

My plotter and scanner were simply not useable.

The printer got a postcript upgraded..fortunately that was cheap on ebay. It still occasionally loses its mind and starts printing out pages of raw postcript.

I couldn't find a CAD program worth a damn that would match Corel Draw for what I wanted. After weeks of very heavy cinfiguration, I know more about Mac fionts and OS-X than I ever wanted to learn. To no avaiul.

It runs mail, browser, ms office, and thats it. It IS a bit nicer to pull camera stuff off, due to te fact that the keyboard has a USB plig in it.

Its slower than an equivalent PC, even after turning off most of the ditzy graphics and detuneing the graphics down to 16 bit rather than 24 bit..uses twice as much ram, and a replacement keyboard was twice as much.

I DO like the onscreen appearance, and the fact that it doesn't throw flashy carp at you irrespective, like XP, and teh fact it crashes a bit less, but crash it does. I Hta eteh fact that you need to click once typ bring a window intop ficus, and avgain to actually use the window function. I hate the fact that you cant resize windows except in the bottom corner, or that an application with several windows may hide the one you want behind another one, and there is no way I have found to change that order, other than minimizing the one on top. I hate the way that bad typing cause s all sorts of strange windows to pop up, or the fact that when typing there are two cursors..in some applications..one where you last were typing, and the other one where you just clicked to edit. I hate the fact that when you boot, if there are issues, you get NO feedback whatsoever, just an apple with a rotating dial.. . No Macs are designed for people who have a lot of money, and know nothing about computers.

You only have to look in the NGs to do with macs..its never 'you do this, go there. edit that'

Its 'take it back to the shop' 'reinstall'

All fur coat and no knickers.

I know have a PC dedicated to do all the things the Mac cannot do. Sure it looks cheap, but it runs faster on less RAM, drives my peripherals and runs the code I need.

If All you want is a desktop to run standard apps, use Linux.

If you want a fashion statement, and can afford it, buy a mac.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like you have perhaps a problem with the separation roller or pad.

The separation roller runs the opposite way to the pickup roller, so extra sheets are rolled out rather than into the printer. Sometimes the roller can be simply a rubberised pad. Most likely the pad or roller has become dirty, worn or simply clogged up with paper dust. The rollers/pads are a regular service item and just a few coppers to buy. I have had some success with just wiping these over with 'Sticky Stuff Remover'. The HP's plastic casings are usually just clipped together, so its just a matter of finding and releasing the clips to get access to the internals.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

80gsm is normally used in photocopiers.
Reply to
Martin

Paper sizes seem to be getting thicker. 60gsm was the accepted weight some years ago. 80gsm seems more common now. Whatever happened to 40gsm 'flimsy'

Reply to
<me9

Carbon paper has become dated.

Reply to
Palindrome

In message , Martin writes

so is 60 gsm

5 minute or the full half hour ?
Reply to
geoff

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

geoff

The message from geoff contains these words:

Brands?

Where bought?

At what price?

Standard photocopier paper for many years has been 80gm/m^2. That's where all the price competition is with all the major stationery suppliers. Hard to see why anyone would want to buy something difficult to find, difficult to feed and much more expensive when you can keep your eyes open and get 80 gm/m^2 for as little as 99p/ream + VAt at times. And well under £2/ream pretty well all the time.

Reply to
Appin

LOL! I imagine your diy is done in stages.

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

I have recently bought some 50 gm paper, but I have not used it yet. I bought it from Staples and it comes as a pad of 80 sheets, called layout pad. If I get a problem with it on any of my 3 printers I'll post back.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

How does that work in a laser printer?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Badly.

It didn't work all that well in typewriters, either. ;)

Reply to
Palindrome

In message , Appin writes

I have several boxes in my stationery cupboard, but I got rid of both my photocopiers a few years ago

brand ? - can't tell you

bought ? - are you joking?

price? - see above

they did come from a company which maintains photocopies

Just because you didn't buy it in Rymans doesn't mean that it's not used

Reply to
geoff

The message from geoff contains these words:

Hmm............

No, it's the usual way of acquiring significant quantities of paper which runs well in printers.

Someone pays for it at some point.

Well, I do maintain photocopies -- by filing them under temperature- and humidity-controlled conditions! And I've stripped down a few photopiers and printers too, in my time.

Rymans? Never been in a Rymans store in my life! Besides which, there isn't one in hundreds of miles!

But I do buy and use a lot of paper. Rarely buy ordinary 80gm printing paper in less than 50 ream batches. Sometimes buy coloured paper or A3 in 5 or 10 ream batches. Coloured 160gm card is a particularly difficult item and printers are very sensitive as to which brands they'll print and fuse well on. Tends to be bought in smaller quantities, about 10 reams at a time, 3 each of 3 colours and 1 ream white.

I'm sure I could find a pack of bank paper left over from the days when my most advanced "printer" was a 1940s Imperial Model Z typewriter, but that is rather ancient history, thankfully.

Reply to
Appin

In message , Appin writes

prolly came out of your wages then