Porcelain floor tiles

Ive decided to lay tiles in our hallway, downstairs loo, kitchen and utility room all in the same tile design.

I have been looking at Porcelain tiles, purely because they are meant to be much tougher and less likely to crack if something was every dropped on them.

Having looked in a few tile shops, I note the huge variation in prices (as expected), but also that porcelain is very much more expensive than ceramics.

With this in mind, I was intriuged by something I spotted on ebay:

have contacted the seller (who has a shop on ebay, shop in Epsom and warehouse in Gravesend) and he has sent me a sample of the tile shown in that link and a few others.

One thing that struck me, was they seemed slightly thinner than I had expected (probably about 7 or 8 mm) and surprisingly light. (Having said that, the samples were only small peices, not full tiles.)

Looking on the back of the tiles, they were ridged, like I would expect on ceramics. Is that normal? All the porcelain tiles I have seen, look like they could be laid either way round! (Though there probably is a correct side - thats just a quick observation!)

The tiles also seem to originate from China.

Does it look like I should avoid these? (I have to say, I like the price)

I dont want to regret a purchase, but Im guessing as long as they lay ok and behave themselves once down, whats likely to go wrong?

A dilema! I'm fully aware of the "get what you pay for" ideal, but.......

Reply to
guv

I think the answer lies in what is meant by porcelain.

To me porcelain is a fine delicate ceramic,usually white, from which dainty and fragile teas sets are made. And possibly toilets and basins. And is totally unsuitable as a flooring.

Ceramic, is a material used because its tough and strong and goes in the business end of jet engines ;-)

Then there is terra cotta, earthenware, brick, quary tiles, natural stone tiles, and so on ad nauseam.

Before you even get to the galze, which is 99.99% of the wear capability of the tile.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, but porcelain tiles are quite well defined, they are quite different from glazed ceramic tiles.

With a ceramic tile, you have a baked-clay body, with a thin vitreous layer on top. With porcelain tiles, they are fully vitrified - there is no top glaze. They are also totally non-porous.

As for the OP - that price is amazing. If they are really porcelain (easy enough to tell if you have samples) snap it up. We paid around £30/sqm for similar tiles in blue.

Reply to
Grunff

Hmmm. Amazing normally means sub standard - which I guess is kinda what I am thinking! The bottom line for me though, is as long as they go down fine and dont crack if I dropped something on them, then I guess I would be happy. I do have quite a large area to cover (albeit big areas without length AND width - if that makes sense ie think passage!), so the volume will mount up. If I do as I am thinking, I will also be doing the dining room in the same. ie a total of about

32sq/m At £7 a sq/m, I am laughing. Dont think I would be saying the same at £30 !

On the point you are making about snapping them up? What am I looking for? I wasnt sent whole tiles, just small peices - and I was able to break one of the peices just by bashing against one of the others. So they are quite brittle. The big test would be if they were laid and I hit them hard with something! I dont have the luxury of that test! ;-)

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically?

One reason I think they may not be porcelain, is the fact there is a definate side they need to be laid. ie they have ridges like you would find on ceramics to help adhesive adhere to them. Is that normal? I know the few tiles I looked at, seemed to be the same on both sides. Also, they are not as think as I had expected. Not much thinker, if anything, than I think a 30cmx30cm ceramic would be.

Im certainly not bothered if they are "fakes" - from a snobby angle. If they have similar properties, that would be good enough. I will probably take the samples into a tile shop and ask them! As you can appreciate, describing things is a little difficult, when you dont know how to specifically describe the texture you would actually expect them to be when broken!

Reply to
guv

Porcelain is a lot like glass. Look at the snapped cross-section - it should be uniform, the same colour all the way. It should also look slightly glassy.

Yes, many (most?) porcelain tiles have ridges on the back.

Some are, but most of the 30x30cm ones had ridges.

Ours were maybe 10mm thick.

If they're uniform throughout, and the broken edge looks slightly glassy (certainly not porous), they're porcelain.

Reply to
Grunff

I wonder why they call them porcelain then. Never seen nor heard of anything like that apart from quarry tiles.

Ah, Wikipedia has a decent enough blurb..

...."Through-body porcelain tile, is as the name implies does not involve a glaze or a layering of different products together to create a tile. The surface, and the interior of the tile is the exact same material. Much as a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, tile is only as strong as its weakest component, which is why porcelain tile is used in many applications, where glazed tile would not be able to hold up to the local conditions (impact, frost).

Italy is the birthplace of modern porcelain tile production, but today is produced in many countries, including China, Turkey, Argentina, and Spain.

Porcelain and ceramic are essentially the same product, the difference being the end result out of the kilns. The two defining characteristics for tile are water absorption, and abrasion. By definition by ANSI to be classified as porcelain tile, the product must be 99.95% non-porous (or better)."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from guv contains these words:

The Italian porcelain tiles I laid in the conservatory are one-sided. They're pressed from powder and then fired. Incredibly tough [1] and the colour goes right through, even on speckledy tones, so chips and wear won't matter.

[1] Though I planned to use the diamond tile saw all along, I thought I'd try to score and snap one. Even my rather too massive frame couldn't bust one. I guess because they're homogenous there's less reliance on a surface skin to maintain the strength. They're cerainly tough.
Reply to
Guy King

They ARE the same colour all the way through. But I wouldnt describe them as glassy. I suppose I would say one of the samples could have that description applied, but not the other 3. They are more textured

- but I would have to say, the tiles are matt not smooth on the surface either. (They do sell smooth AND matt. I chose the matt ones, purley because I thought they'd be less slippery when wet. Important with 2 young kids!!!) I would have asked for a smooth sample - but since I wanted 30cm vice, 45 or 60 - and they werent available, that choice wasnt there to make and ask!

One other thing of note. Whilst they are only small samples, I do think they are relatively light. Of course that observation may just be subjective to their size. I wouldnt say they are heavier than I would expect a ceramic to be. Do you think it should be? (My guess is they probably are porcelain, but cheaper production. As I said, they ARE made in china. I have attempted to mark the surface with a lot of weight and screwdriver. Nothing doing. Not even the slightest mark. (A good sign!) ;-)

Ok, thats good then!

Again, if yours are 30x30, then it does suggest they are cheaper manufactured tiles. But then at that price, think thats to be expected.

I will try to have a look around at the weekend at alternatives, but they are looking more promising after seeing your comments.

I am also thinking about underfloor heating.... but will ask that in a seperate thread! Its a simple question of the undertile surface (which is a plasticy looking tile) and connecting to the mains. I'll explain further..... look out for "Laying under tile floor heating" . ;-)

Reply to
guv

Excellent. These ones I have chosen are the "speckledy" type. Colour is all the way through and ive been unable to mark them. So far! ;-)

Likewise, I was hoping straight edges could be done the "easier" way. Seeing as I was unable to mark them, that looks unlikely. (Though I guess a diamond tip would be different!) I have seen mention though of using score and snap tools. These tiles are probably about 2mm thinner than others I have seen, so maybe a possibilty.

Reply to
guv

I think they sound just like our porcelain tiles.

They should be a similar weight to glass :-)

I think they are worth a closer look. See if you can get a whole one, then try to break it.

No idea what you mean. We put in UFH under our porcelain tiles, it was nice.

Reply to
Grunff

Ive just got round to measuring the thickness. The 30sq/cm are 8mm and the 30x60cm are 10mm. Slightly thinner than the yours - but more than slightly cheaper!

They only send out small bits, so not possible unfortunately - and they are a bit too far away for me to visit their shop.

I'll elaborate in the new thread ;-)

Reply to
guv