Poo Pipe - can I cut it? (asbestos?)

1961 SemiDetached House I want to change the loo upstairs (its separate to the bathroom) The Soil pipe coming in from the stack protrudes about 5 inches too far for the new loo (if I have the integral systern flush against the back wall)

Thing is, this soil pipe appears to be made from some sort of matting fibre and I'm hoping its not asbestos We do have an asbestos tank in the loft so I know it was around then

Can I cut this with a saw to the right length? is it asbestos?

thanks in advance

Reply to
Vass

Probably.

Might be. The good news is that a thick covering of sh*t will stop any fibres escaping from the internal surfaces. Damp down, wear mask, read Peter Parry.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

yup

I cant think what else it might be. Is it white, grey, blue or brown? The blue and brown forms of asbestos are a risk, and some care should be taken with those. Most asbestos is white/grey and fairly harmless.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd say light grey, but paited black outside to look like Cast Iron and painted white inside but the matting (a bit like paper mache construction) is clearly visible thanks

Reply to
Vass

I cant help but wonder here, as asbestos doesnt usually show any obviously visible matting, whether it might just be something odd like hemp fibre matting embedded in god knows what. It doesnt matter though, just assume its likely to be asbestos. I think you'll need an angle grinder rather than a saw btw, not many saws will go though fibre reinforced cement mortar.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oh the joy... rotting stinking disease-ridden shit flying everywhere.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You've been watching the Labuh conference again, haven't you...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

lol

NT