Pond Base Construction

Hopefully some constructional types out there will be able to help as everywhere I look I get conflicting advice...

The pond project is back in action (3rd year now!) and it's time to make the base... The area is roughly 16' x 9' by around 4' finished depth. The walls have already been built on some hefty foundations so it will be more of a "raft" base than one supporting the walls etc.

I've dug out around 8" lower than finished height and sub-soil is drained firm heavy red clay.

The contour of the base is dished towards centre drain rather than completely flat.

So... I was planning on 4" of compacted 'MOT type 1' and 4" concrete with fibres. Now however I'm thinking along 2" compact with 6 to 8" concrete.

Would I be advised to try and get some fabric mesh in or would a C35 with Fibres be adequate? I'm wondering if it would be possible to get fabric mesh to even come close to the contouring without having to cut it into lots of bits whick would presumably weaken the structural integrity of the base more than not having it in at all.

Any advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated so I can get this baby done before the end of the summer..

8¬O

Cheers Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk