Polarity of water feed to thermostatic shower

Whatever the reason for the choice, it does make sense to have the position standardized, for the convenience of those who can't see. It's also quite handy when fumbling about in the hotel ensuite in the dark because SWMBO doen't like the fan which comes on if you turn the light on...

Reply to
docholliday93

On the right of what? Ours (at the bottom of the yard) was to the left of the stench pipe. Next door's (Grandma's) was a mirror image, to the right of the stench pipe.

An option when the houses was built (in 1902) was an outside WC (for an extra £5) instead of an ash closet in the same outbuilding. Those that opted for the cheaper option still had marks in the rear wall where the hatch was for the night soil men. Hot taps had hardly been thought of, apart from the very rich.

Reply to
<me9

If most people are right-handed then wouldn't their right hand more likely need cleaning? So the tap would be better on the left so they can turn it on with a clean hand...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

But when standing close to a sink/basin, it is easier to turn a tap at the left using your right hand, and vice versa. (For many of us!)

Reply to
polygonum

Witness that monobloc basins usually have tap at left. Which suddenly plonks my thought on its head - but does not make it untrue/wrong. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

No, their left hand would have had s**te on it. Dirty bastards.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've seen plenty of Continental imports with the cold on the left, which makes me wonder - is it convention in Germany? Been so long since I've been there I don't recall. I'd suppose the Germans would be more likely to have a standard about it (and stick to it) however wrong-headed it may be.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Seems to me almost all monobloc basins have tap placed to the left, but sinks vary - largely, I'd guess, due to bowl, drainer, second sink issues.

In reality, it is easy to use a monobloc lever tap with either hand - or elbow. And that is one of their significant advantages.

Reply to
polygonum

In message , at 18:22:49 on Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Gordon Henderson remarked:

I started the shower from room temperature, and it turns out the hot wasn't completely blocked, so showed up as being on the left, with the cold (getting colder) on the right.

The new shower unit is completely symmetrical, so could be fitted either way up, but was supplied with "hot on the left".

Reply to
Roland Perry