Plywood

I been looking but can't find a site in the UK that delivers and shows prices of plywood. (outdoor), anyone have a URL to recommend. I need to price up my observatory project Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve - www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk

You can get prices for ply from any timber merchant or the chains of them like Jewsons.

For exterior use, the Rolls Royce product is marine ply, but it is pretty expensive. A reasonable alternative, as long as you protect it with painting is WBP (water & boil proof).

It's possible that your project will have more specific requirements but that should be a start.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I normally play one supplier against the other. Recently rang Merton Timber, they priced 18mm WBP 8x4 £26+ a sheet. Told them that Champion could do it for £19.50 at 10 sheets. Merton said they wouldn't be beaten by Champion and gave £19.05. Did same at Alloways.

Reply to
Sploop

There are two different ways to price it. Thickness or quality. The price obviously increases with thickness. Quality ranges from use to finish.

Shuttering ply is the cheapest. It will last outdoors but not for very long you will see it used outdoors as shuttering ply with a limited life of one or two pours. (More if handled carefully.) It is usually used in hoarding with just a couple of coats of paint and will last for as long as most sites need them.

Exterior ply will last a lot longer. Commonly used on the edges of roofs. (Soffits -the bit with the vents in.) Painted it will last years.

More quality differences come with the way knots in the face are treated.

"One side finished" will leave the knots on the other side but cut and patched on the good. There are other varieties of this classing to look out for.

Sheds will usually only stock one type. Most builders will have a limited variety depending on local needs. Manufacturers will supply to specification for a delivery. (Probably not cost effective for your needs.)

You can use anything you like if you are going to cover it with felt or whatever.

Since the observatory will be open in use, I suggest you just use 1/4" exterior ply, paint both sides and fix through pressure treated (roof) battens, using mastic on the edges/under the batten.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Wickes and B&Q deliver, as will most wood yards.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper