Plumbing wash m/c into main soil pipe?

I am moving our washing m/c into a utility room far away from the sin

etc the ONLY pipe near is the soil pipe that the toilets and bathroo waste goes into. this is located behind a wall the other side of whic is a garage. question is do i need to put a ubend in any where t prevent smells coming back thru pipe. Hope it makes sense...thanks

-- joey1522

Reply to
joey1522

"do i need to put a ubend in any where to prevent smells coming back thru pipe?" Boy do you. Sewer gases are explosive, not just smelly, so a water trap to stop the gasses is absolutely essential on a main soil stack pipe.

Make sure you run the connector pipework downhill toward the main stack to stop smelly, dirty water climbing back in the washing if the pipe gets slightly blocked.

I would think you'd need a BOSS connector, if it's plastic, for the big main stack pipe, in either cast iron or plastic depending on what material the main stack pipe is made. A length of pipe of around 40 mm in diameter to go between the BOSS and the new U trap, or stand pipe as it's sometimes called, for the machine, and through the wall. And some bends and other small fittings to suit this type of job.

It would also help if you had a proper drill which could cut the wall out with right sized hole for the 40 mm pipe to slip through, but these can be hired quite cheaply for a day.

So. You will need:

One of these:

if the big pipe is plastic.

and a read through this site:

get you going in the right direction.

Good luck with it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Joey,

Be careful to ensure that you make your connection in the appropriate place. There are what are called "no connection" zones.

More info re. the relevant Building Regs can be found at:

possibly at the Marley Plumbing site BigWallop has linked to. Any questions post back.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie