Plumbing question

I wish to put a shower at the opposite end of the bath to the taps, consequently I need to run cold water mains under the bath and up the wall at the opposite end.

Can I convert from 15mm copper to pvc pushfit using a tee, run a flexible pipe under the bath then convert that to a chromed copper pipe to run up the wall to the shower.

What are those conversion tee,s called and where can I purchase one?

Reply to
Richard

Just use a standard compression joint and use the correct insert for the plastic as recommended by the pipe manufacturer. No need for a special conversion fitting.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes, this is all feasible.

I assume that that the cold feed to the bath is at mains pressure, and that you're planning to install an electric shower?

As far as tees go, you have a choice - and you don't need any special conversion fittings. The easiest is probably to use push-fit all the way, as this will work with the existing copper pipe and with the flexible plastic pipe. [Don't forget the insert in the end of the plastic pipe, and the cut ends of the copper pipe must be spotlessly clean].

Equally, a conventional compression fitting will work on both types of pipe - again with an insert in the plastic pipe.

Do you *really* want an electric shower? If you have a source of stored hot water, you'll get a far better flow by using a mixer shower with a booster pump - taking the hot feed from the bath supply(**), and the cold feed from the cold header tank.

** Purists will tell you that you should have an independent hot feed from the hot cylinder - but this is often not necessary.
Reply to
Set Square

Can the pump go under the bath?

Reply to
Richard

Mine did. Although the hot water cylinder was in the adjacent airing cupboard. The pump should be as close to the cylinder as you can manage, really.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes, mine is too - and I've taken the hot feed from the 22mm feed to the hot bath tap rather than going back to the cylinder - and it works fine.

Reply to
Set Square