Roger Mills

I cant quite picture your setup, but I used a ladder with a clip on standoff on it for mine. ideal for me.

The Natural Philosopher

#1 - dado rail, but these are highly decor / taste / fashion specific

#2 - hire a suitable platform from hirestation or jewsons (latter might be cheaper with a cash account, online prices are often beaten if you moan)

#3 - modify a ladder, but if you do that I would use substantial wood size bolted on with mudguard washers and strong bolts - plus most of all a horizontal brace to block the ladder sliding off the step downstairs. The heavy gauge C-section EN131 step ladders with aluminium are particularly easy to modify on a whim.

That said you could always use a pile of 8x2, 2x4 and 4x4, creating an elevated decking platform, mini-fridge etc. Just remember someone will want to go to the toilet the second you have erected anything :-))

Reply to
js.b1

Its simple to make an access arrangement out of wood. The downside is that just one mistake or oversight can prove fatal, and people dont always take all the issues into account.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

to all for their help. I think one of those combination ladders should do it.

Reply to
GB