Plastic plumbing...

We had our old lead pipes ripped out last year, and the entire system replaced with a nice new Combi boiler and CH for the first time... Its lovely :-)

Now, Im not a complete muppet when it comes to the odd bit of plumbing (even managed to swage a piece of new copper into an old lead pipe a few months ago..took a whole day mind, but it doesnt leak...) but a large part of the new pipework is grey plastic...I believe its Whitworth.

Now, I have to move out the sink unit to hack off all the old 1950's tiles behind it, and want to hook in a tap to outside. If it was copper, Id just go out, buy a compression fit T piece and away we go...

But I have no idea how this new fangled plastic stuff works.

So how would one go about putting a T piece style connector in?

And how do I disconnect the plastic from the mains? The connectors are all push fit by the looks of things... do they come apart easily? If so, how?!

Any pointers appreciated..

Reply to
Spike

Most modern plastic pipework can accept standard compression joints (22mm or

15mm as appropriate). Just remember to put a special metal strengthening insert into the end of the pipe first.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi Spike

But I have no idea how this new fangled plastic stuff works.

Simply go and buy a plastic T piece.

The ones I've used have a ring where the pipe enters the fitting - just push that back towards the fitting.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

On the stuff I've used, there's a collar around the mouth of the fitting which you push inwards slightly, which makes it lose its grip on the plastic pipe, which may be withdrawn. Happens very easily; no need to force it, and if you do, something will break!

I'd recommend you buy whatever new pushfit kit you need to do the job and have a good play with that before you start trying to dismantle the existing system - that will be much easier to do once you have a feel for how the fittings work.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Good advice sir... thinl Illbe doing this...

Reply to
Spike

That sound like Speedfit - white stuff. They grey colour the OP mentions makes me think it is more likely to be Hepworths Hep20. These fitting are (usually - though they do make fixed fittings as well IIRC) also dismountable, but in different way.

There is a website with useful info on it:

To separate the Hep2O fittings you unscrew the knurled 'ring' and pull apart. Take care as inside there is a rubber O ring, and maybe a bit of plastic that may fall out, or stick on the pipe. There is a 'Grab ring' made of plastic with little stainless steel teeth (green IIRC) that will stay attached to the pipe. To put back together, push the pipe etc back in and screw back up.

to make the 'T' I would use a matching plastic fitting, though you can use standard compression fittings. note that even with the plastic fittings the pipe should have a support sleeve inserted in the end that goes into the fitting (Speedfits is plastic I think, Hep2O is Stainless steel.) I have made joints by mistake without them and all has been fine, but sods law........

To cut the pipe the best/easiest thing to use is a pair of proper pipe cutting 'secateurs'. but I have used a ~Stanley knife on occasion as well, just requires a bit more fiddling about. Main things are to have the cut square and not to have any rough bits hanging off.

Speedfit is available in the sheds, but I've only ever found Hep2O in Plumbers Merchants

Reply to
chris French

And remember to follow the uk.d-i-y golden rule - *don't* cut it with a hacksaw...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Cheers Gents, That website has all I need to know, including instructions on how to mantle and dismantle the connectors. Sorted!

Doesnt help that I was searching for Whitworth....

Reply to
Spike

That would screw you and explain why you lost the thread......

Reply to
Andy Hall

I thnk you mean Hepworth. By a Hepworth Hwp2O tee. If only doing a few joinst yopu don't need special tools. A cutter will cost £15 or so, which is worth buying if you are doing a whole system. Cut the plastic pipe with a hacksaw and and make sure the cut is square A fine file can help here to sqaure off. Make sure there are no burred edges to the pipe. Here is what Hepworth said here on this groups when the question was asked about cutting their pipe:

"The inventive can find many ways of achieving a perfectly acceptable clean, square cut using a variety of tools."

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Let's expand this to include the whole quote:

"We do recommend the use of a Hep2O pipe cutter, however any pipe cutter designed to cut plastics pipes should be suitable. One of the major advantages of a purpose designed cutter is speed, however the requirements for the cutter are that it should cut the tube square without scoring or scratching the pipe or leaving burrs or swarf which could get under the 'O' ring. It is for this reason that hacksaws should not be used.

The inventive can find many ways of achieving a perfectly acceptable clean, square cut using a variety of tools. "

Note the line "It is for this reason that hacksaws should not be used."

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's how you had a leak, then?

Inventive being the operative word. But since you're as practical as a chocolate teapot, best stick to using approved methods.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just another example of Drivel thinking he knows better than the makers - apart when it suits him to believe their extravagant claims.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Spike, if you want a laugh, do a Google for this group on IMM, Doctor Evil (same person) and hacksaw.

He flooded out a friends house after trying to joint plastic pipe when cutting it with a hacksaw.

When working with new to you materials, it's always best to give yourself half a chance and use the correct tools.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you know anything about pipe craft skills, which yours are obviously limited, you cut the pipe with a purpose designed pipe cutter - a hacksaw. then trim off "square without scoring or scratching".

And what they said was right: "The inventive can find many ways of achieving a perfectly acceptable clean, square cut using a variety of tools". Note the plural "tools". First the hacksaw to cut the pipe and other tools to trim off and make square. They stress that the pipe sides must not be scratched. It is clear that Hepworth mean do not just use only a hacksaw. If you can make a cut without using expensive cutters, then what else cuts the frigging pipe - a blowtorch?

Nothing worse than know-it-all DIYers. Get a life.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Figured out how a thermal stores works yet? How many years since the last boiler service?. 12, 18?

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Please go back to the clinic? The medication is wearing off.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

To the OP, do what I say. Take care, don't scratch the sides of the pipe and trim off with fine file. Don't use Speedfit as it is the poorest quality of all the plastic systems. Hep2O is in the middle.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The usual answer from one who calls himself a 'pro'. But chooses to ignore advice direct from the pipe makers on how and how not to cut it - with disastrous results.

Remind us once again of your qualifications? CORGI registered? Membership of any recognised professional body? Relevant degree?

I have one and it's real. I don't have to hide behind various aliases and live out a fantasy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That made my day, that did... 397 posts!

Ill be doing what any smart person would in these circs... Ill be going to the tool emporium, purchasing said cutter, and then returning it once job is done due to it "not being the right one after all"..

:-)

(allegedly)

Reply to
Spike