Plastic Gas Mains - OT

In my area new gas mains are bing laid (seems a continuous project). The new pipes are yellow with brown stripes. Does this signify something different to plain yellow?

Reply to
john

They are colour distinguished for different environmental conditions. Soil, chemical and moisture content must all be considered when the choice of pipe is made.

Reply to
BigWallop

The only web site I can find with any sort of technical details, is this one:

BigWallop

Not seen that one yet but the colour Yellow seems to have wide interpretation since our local works have included everything between a Canary colour to almost Orange. Have you been close enough to see if there is any writing on the stripes or if you get the chance ask the installers as there is ususally someone present who can tell you.

Reply to
John

If it is relatively large bore pipe, i.e the sort of stuff that comes in long lengths rather than coils and is butt fusion welded together,also if the stripes are along the length rather than around it then in all probability it will be pipe which is suitable for medium pressures i.e. 75mb to 2bar. The pipe is quite tick walled and usually has a clearish/whitish thick inner core.

joe Remove antispam and add 670 after bra to email

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin