Plasterboard joint?

I will soon be putting a new layer of plasterboard on shower room ceiling, so a small room. There is likely to be one joint in the ceiling, will it be possible to use whatever on the joint and avoid skimming the entire ceiling.

Reply to
ss

If you use taper edge board, and then the tacky fibreglass tape, and a decent width filling knife (ready mixed filler makes it easier) same over screws, you might not make it good enough to avoid sanding, but use some 400-600 grit paper and it should be nearly invisible

Reply to
Andy Burns

OK sounds good, question though do I push the tape into the taper or just lay across it before using filler.

Reply to
ss

No - you lay it along the joint, half on each side lift taping a parcel shut. It's to bind the edges and to diffuse cracks.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Some Youtube videos show the technique

I've used this method with self adhesive fibre tape (rather than using 'mud' as the adhesive) and with minimal sanding afterwards

alan_m

Even with straight edged boards, you can make an invisible joint, but you need to take a bit more time to build up the filler and taper it well out, and don't get carried away with the sanding.

Reply to
Chris French

just lay it across, it's lightly self-adhesive.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's square-edge rather than taper though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its perhaps worth adding that the taper on the board is several inches wide - you typically use a 8 - 10" wide filling knife for filling the section where the tapers meet.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK thanks John.

Reply to
ss

Yes, but a bathroom is the one place I wouldn't take that shortcut. You'll be left with a paper ceiling in a room where condensation is frequent.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Won't the paint protect it?

Reply to
GB

no. It may get mouldy in time, some do some don't. When it does you cant remove it without removing most of the stregth of the pb. So at least mouldproof it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've got an an un-skimmed plasterboard ceiling here in a bathroom, it's never had a problem, any more than the similar walls have.

If it's bad enough to have that much condensation lasting that long I'd suggest that the ventilation needs improving.

Reply to
Chris French

Paper supports mould growth, plaster doesn't (although the paint on the plaster probably will).

Making sure it's insulated behind the plasterboard will minimise condensation. I redid a lean-to bathroom ceiling and could only fit 25mm PIR board behind, but that has completely prevented condensation on the ceiling.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I just recently added a 6" extractor fan +timer +humidity, previous to that I had condensation on the walls/mirror (after showering) now it is totally clear, so ventilation has been improved.

Reply to
ss

If it really is a small area, tile it? That's what I did in my larger than normal home made shower cubical. Got some really cheap white wall tiles - they don't need to be strong like a wall one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)