Planning permission needed for front door alcove?

I'd like to enclose the alcove area of the house just outside the front door. Basically a door in the middle with two side panels about the same width as the door each side. About 80% of the semi's in the street have this done. Do I need planning permission to do it if, a) I DIY it in wood frames b) If it's a double glazed version ?

If I do need PP, what is it likely to cost? (I've never done anything needing PP before!) Thanks

Reply to
Mike

You probably do not need Planning Permission unless you are in a Listed Building / Conservation Area / World Heritage Site etc.

You almost certainly will need Building Regulations approval. It probably won't come within the 'conservatory' exemptions so hopefully the BCO will not expect you to bring the porch up to the standards of a habitable room.

You will definately need Building Regs approval if you DIY it, for the glazing. Even if you use a FENSA contractor, you may still need B.Regs approval because self-certification applies to the glazing, not to the enclosure of the porch.

Charges vary, see your local council website

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Go and talk to your local planners. They are the only ones who can tell you all the rules that apply to your particular house. The chances are you will not need it.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Some houses have a tiled pitched roof off the wall over the front door. Some of these run the whole, or half the length of the house, and where they run over the windows it is more like a very long canopy. I have noticed these appear simple to erect being a long canopy bolted to the outside of the house. Just a triangular wooden frame. The tiling and flashing are the only complicated bit. For something which is quite simple to erect they really do make a house look much better in most cases.

If not in a conservation area, would these need planning permission?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You might be able to get it under permitted development rights. This will depend on the exact design and layout of the property and whether or not your permitted development rights have been exhausted or withdrawn for any reason. Your planning department can advise.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

I can't imagine anyone round here asking permission for a porch - they just get on with it. Though I got permission for my conservatory I know damned well most people don't. You've only got to look at some of them to see they'd never have got it if they tried.

Reply to
Guy King

You don't PP for a conservatory as if it is within the set criteria.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It shouldn't be counted under PDR because it's not extending the floor area, merely enclosing by means of a new window the existing porch area.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Again, a conservatory may come under permitted development.

I have built a conservatory (wooden, of course!), a large shed and a full rear dormer loft conversion without any planning permission. (Technically, with permitted development rights which are form of planning permission that requires no application to the council). I barely have a single m3 of volume left of my rights!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

AFAICT, it will count towards your cubic meterage when considering applications under PDR Class A+B, but is permitted even if you have already reached it. Hence, if you are in a tight situation, do the extension/loft/conservatory first and the porch second.

It certainly counts under PDR, though. In particular, it is PDR Class D.

D. The erection or construction of a porch outside any external door of a dwellinghouse. Development not permitted D.1 Development is not permitted by Class D if-

(a) the ground area (measured externally) of the structure would exceed 3 square metres;

(b) any part of the structure would be more than 3 metres above ground level; or

(c) any part of the structure would be within 2 metres of any boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse with a highway.

Alternatively, if you remove the existing external door, I think it might come under Class A.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But in this particular case the OP is not erecting or constructing a porch. The porch is already there, enclosed by walls and a roof, all an integral part of the original building structure, and its nature (of a porch) is not being changed by the alteration.

Well, that would be extending the habitable accommodation into a previously nonhabitable area, similar to a loft conversion with no dormer.

BICBWOC

Owain

Reply to
Owain