partition wall question

When building a partition wall must it be fixed directly to the joists or can it be fixed to the joists through the plasterboard ceiling? thanks

Reply to
SS

I've always fixed through the plasterboard.

Reply to
AlanD

Thanks for the replies. The wall will be non load bearing, other than maybe a shelf attached. It will be built in a bedroom that is 24 feet long so making one end a walk in wardrobe, hence the partition wall.

Reply to
SS

No need to disturb the floorboards or the plaster ceiling. Or even the carpet - though some dont like doing that.

NT

Reply to
NT

i think by 'loadbearing' they meant is it holding up the ceiling and rooms above it, like if you'd removed a brick wall.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Thanks George I was aware, just thought to put the shelf bit in in case someone had an idea to put extra `noggins` in to support it as I believe this would be the case if say a sink was being attached to the wall.

Reply to
SS

Through plasterboard / floorboards is fine...

It does not require a huge amount of fixing either - a nail every two or three joists is usually more than adequate.

(handy tip: when building the wall, only partially knock in the nails to fix the top and bottom rails in place - and only fit a couple to begin with. That way if you need to tweak the plum or position of the wall (to get your room corner square for example), you can just pull the nail a bit to free it, and then nudge the whole wall over with a larger hammer before sticking the pin back in place!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Spot on that man :)

And stud walls *can* sometimes be load bearing (not that I've seem many, bar old cottages, except the "studs" were big, limpy and oak - but it is possible).

Reply to
Tim Watts