Part L low energy fittings

Part L insists you install a certain proportion of low energy fittings. These are specifically designed to look as ugly as possible, not be compatible with standard lamp shades and require expensive, hideous, difficult to obtain tubes. Rather than install these, has anyone considered using some sort of current limiting devices that would enable a maximum of, say, 25W (after initial 3 minute warm up) to be used with a standard bayonet fitting, so that you can use nice looking, cheap, easy to obtain low energy light bulbs?
Christian.

an extension. Bascially, between the lines, he was saying forget it as he knew as well as you and I that there aren't any suitable fitting available yet.
For a full house set up it's possible because you can use flourescent lighting in the kitchen and quite civilised looking low energy fittings in the bathroom and thus fulfil the proportion of low energy fittings required.

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:42:06 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

and never use them....
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:32:59 +0100, Mike Harrison

Now that's creative - I like it.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I only use them in the cupboards and table lamps. Is this the required amount ? Out of nine light fittings and six table lamps, I wonder if it is enough to stop this global warming. :-))

I use low energy lights absolutely everywhere. I do not possess a filament lightbulb, except in the car. I object to being told that my nice pretty low energy lightbulbs (which look like standard lightbulbs) have to be thrown out to be replaced by something shaped like a 1960's housing estate gone wrong, complete with urine stained aerial walkways.
Christian.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:23:31 GMT, "BigWallop"

Only within 100 miles and two weeks of Kyoto........