Painting outside walls-Help?

Hi all, I'm just about to have the rather old and blown pebble dash removed from my house and have it replaced with a similar coating. SWMBO would like it painting with Sandtex or similar, now I know I can ask the manufacturers but I would also like a less biased opinion. What are the implications of applying the paint in cold damp weather, i.e. in the next month or so?
--
-- Bill

cool weather, as long as there's no danger of frost, and dampness doesn't affect it.

Why are you having it /dashed if you are going to paint it?

It is as I said pebble dashed at the moment but a lot of it is in a bad state so I am removing all and having it replaced with the same, but not falling off. Then painting it in a similar colour to what it is now. I would rather have left the dashing unpainted but this would tend to stand out with respect to other nearby properties which are nearly all painted.

--
-- Bill

Not all.
One example of a spirit-based finish is Macpherson Powerkote. http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/m/MPK /
W.
- wrote:

A word of caution. The pepple dashing may have been put on in the first place because the wall was in such poor condition. It may not be weather proof if you remove the coating. e.g. the pointing could need replacing.

The house has been an interesting project, total rewire as the previous owner had done some novel things such as running a 7KW shower off 2.5mm T&E. Replace downstairs floor because he had used non floor grade chipboard that had worn away. Used 2nd hand roofing joists to hold up downstairs floor. Built a stud wall over the carpet. The house had been gutted at one point with a view to being demolished. The plaster in the 24' X 12' lounge had to be replaced as a lot of it was blown from the brick, not the same walls as the pebble dashed ones luckily. The plumbing was a nightmare so that is now new too. SO if the pointing is not up to scratch I will not be surprised, the only glimmer of hope is that the pebble dash appears to be original, it matches in with several other houses locally that were built at the same time.
--
-- Bill

I would never paint outside walls, at least I would not start painting them (once started, it's an additional piece of regular maintenance). Pebble dash tends to get painted after a repair, when the repaired work is a different colour from the original. You won't have that issue. Strongly suggest you don't paint it...
--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Houses are all maintenance.
You'll be telling me next, you have slotted floors so you don;t have to sweep em, and no windows cos you don't like cleaning em.
One thing about painting very rough stucco/pebbledash. Thin teh first coat at least so it splashes into the cracks. Otherwise its hell to get an even finish,
Did my 'tyrolean stucco' garage with sandtex, and that worked a treat with a pole and big roller.

A paininnabum-numero_uno. Use a long haired plasterers brush too. Or consider hiring a sprayer.
Check the gutters etc., first. The scratch coat usually contains a waterproofing mix. The second coat is the one that the pebbles are dashed at. The three extra layers of wall make it quite weatherproof. Pebble dash even cuts down the wind speed of air in or near contact with the wall and of course the pebble dash is a natural shedder of rain.
It is a very good finish for an house. It ages gracefuly too.

that I've used for creosoting some fencing and wondered about putting Sandtex through it, never having handled Sandtex before I'm not sure how well it would work, any comments? Does it need a particularly large nozzle on the sprayer?

and a few other minor jobs too, such as moving the satellite dish to a more aesthetically pleasing location. The Sky installer refused to mount it on the gable end of the house because the flat roof he would have had to stand on did not have a safety rail, he preferred to work at twice the height from a ladder. He was wearing a harness though, not that there was anything to attach it to.

--
-- Bill

have it done and if it pleases her then who am I to argue. Although she is aware of the on going repainting problem and has agreed to see what it looks like before going ahead with any painting, so fingers crossed.
--
-- Bill