Paint Primers

Hi all,

I have some Ronseal white metal primer designed for radiators and pipework. Can I get away with using it for a small stretch of new, bare wood skirting board? (less than 1 metre) Or is it likely to peel away again in next to no time?

cheers. cd

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

RONSEAL TECHNICAL SERVICES

0114 2409 469

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

It's probably an acid etch primer, so its designed method of bonding won't work on timber at all. That's not to say it won't bond simply by having the solvent carry the substrate into the timber grain (which probably looks similar at a microscopic level to etched metalwork), but that's not how it was designed to be used, so if it fails, it would also be no surprise.

I don't usually bother priming timber used indoors - just start with gloss undercoat. For outdoor use, I use aluminium based primer on timber.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Do it without primer, you'd get better bond.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Just thin some normal undercoat/gloss. At least for oil based paints.

Dunno about these new water based paints. Which are crap anyway.

Reply to
harryagain

Or use emulsion paint.

Reply to
Broadback

Acrylic primer/undercoats work very well and build an opaque coating quickly. I tend to agree with you when it comes to topcoats

Reply to
stuart noble