Pain in the Butt Microsoft

13 and 15 were good - 16 less so, but 17 is a cracker - now 17.1 'Rebecca'

Been on 17 a couple of months and 17.1 almost 24 hours.

Its pretty damned solid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No as that's what's avalible he brought one years ago from a local shop and had no end of problems with it.

We use Dell here they seem OK for PCs . It what we use at work. Not had any problems with my PC at work other than software and netweork issues. HP seem to put to much crap on their PCs.

No where near as good as they need Windows. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Here's a good example of something that Windows appears unable to do. Under OS X, if I use e.g. the Finder to rename a file or move it to another folder on the same volume, any application that has the file open simply updates its user presentation of the file's name/location. Even Word and Excel manage it (somewhat to my surprise).

None of this "file is open in another application" c*ck that Windows gives me to prevent me from renaming the file.

Finder updates its windows of files too. So I don't have to keep clicking the update icon.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Bob Henson writes

I don't often see people quoting Homer and Jethro lines in this group.

Reply to
Bill

Well it wasn't a cheap rip off, it authenticated correctly originally, and has been running for (wild guess) 2 years plus with automatic updates.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Just as anyone with even half a clue, should be able to recognise the possibility that someone is joking.

Get away!

Get away!

What? That at some point in the future you may eventually be able to recognise irony, when it's staring you in the face ?

michael adams

michael adams

That's an artefact of the underlying Unix O/S.

Reply to
Huge

Well yes and no...

The application has the inode (actual file, without the concept of a name or path) open and does not care if any directory entries pointing to that are renamed (unlike Windows which goes mental).

However, the rename() system call does not (can not) communicate any change in one or more directory entries pointing at the inode to the app. So that must be done on MacOSX by some higher level susbsystem designed specifically to do so.

I wonder what it does with multiple hardlinks to the file? Unless hardlinks are prohibited on MacOSX

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good point.

AFAICS, hard links are fine on MacOS/X;

air:tmp huge$ uname -a Darwin air 13.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.4.0: Sun Aug 17 19:50:11 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.115.4~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64 air:tmp huge$ touch z air:tmp huge$ ls -l total 0

-rw-r--r-- 1 huge staff 0 Dec 9 21:38 z air:tmp huge$ ln z a air:tmp huge$ ls -l total 0

-rw-r--r-- 2 huge staff 0 Dec 9 21:38 a

-rw-r--r-- 2 huge staff 0 Dec 9 21:38 z

Reply to
Huge

There is such a subsystem but I know nothing about it.

Well you may be able to make one (in Terminal) but the only place where they are used in OS X is in Time Machine, such that each incremental backup is jigged to look (to the user) like a complete backup. Works quite well. Otherwise AFAIK they are forbidden. What the effect is in OS X if you went around and created some, I know not, but the experts on one of the mac NGs can doubtless advise.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not quite.

changing the name of open files is one thing, making sure the application receives a signal to display the new name is rather more.

I've been fairly impressed that some linux distros mow have suitable daemons that are doing this kind of housekeeping.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It could. Kernel knows PIDS of any file openers. Send a signal 'refresh file name please'.

I suspect its done by a daemon tho.

So that must be done on MacOSX by some higher level susbsystem

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Microsoft activation by phone takes considerably more than two minutes - more than that to listen to the intro!

Reply to
polygonum

I believe the Chromebooks version of Android is squarely aimed at the office desktop market?

Reply to
Capitol

And just /where/ do you think the drivers came from /for/ the manufacturer's hardware in the /first/ place? Why did manufacturers bother to include a CD with drivers on?

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

Absolutely!

Agreed.

Reply to
J.B.Treadstone

Mint 15 is no longer supported. Mint 13 and 17 are LTS.

Reply to
Bob Martin

No, just a M$ fanboi.

Reply to
Bob Martin

The point about the particular Medions is that they will run the Apple OSX perfectly well but on very much cheaper generic open hardware.

Clueless brandname snobbery is a great way to ensure that you get ripped off at every turn. Dell are an overpriced US vendor to corporate types whose main aim originally was to be slightly cheaper than IBM.

Compaq was another player in the dim and distant past and theirs were faster. It was interesting to note that COCOM rules were such that IBM could sell into Russia but Compaq PC and Acorn's BBC Micro could not. (Compaq was 8MHz vs IBMs 4.7MHz and Acorns graphics were "too good")

There are plenty of reputable makers or even secondhand PC models available that would be perfectly adequate for an ordinary home user. This lot for instance (although they are not as good as they were)

Martin Brown

Same thing.

Reply to
Huge