P trap problem

Ideally I need a P trap where the outlet through the wall is about an inch higher than standard, and the telescopic version only seems to lower the outlet. Trying to avoid chopping a new hole through the wall if possible, but I can't think of another way. I don't want to lower the carcass by an inch as I'm quite tall, and sometimes I have to do the washing up. Any workarounds?

Reply to
stuart noble

HepVO? with knuckle adaptor will go "straight" out...

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

I don't understand! Surely, you'd have to *raise* the carcass to get the trap outlet to line up with the hole in the wall?

Would a U-bend be any better than a P-trap?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks. Looks promising, but can't quite visualise it in conjunction with a p trap. Does it replace the 90 deg section?

Reply to
stuart noble

replaces the whole trap... it *is* the trap ;>)

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Yes - knuckle is a 90 degree bend. Follow with a Hepvo on the horizontal as you head for the wall hole.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hang on, let me think about this. New sink is an inch shallower than the previous one, so the waste outlet pipe will be an inch higher. If the carcass was an inch shorter, it would line up. I think

Dunno. Is it a trap?

Reply to
stuart noble

Yes.

In fact, you can manufacture your own traps out of solvent weld bends - I did this where I wanted a 50mm trap for my machines slightly downstream of the upstand pipe.

If you include a swept tee in place of one of the bends you have a way to clear the trap with wire.

Then you can assemble to any geometry you like.

Here you go:

are at the top as I figured they'd be a s**te trap down below. Still easy to run a drain wire through.

Unconventional but works better than many stock traps...

Reply to
Tim Watts

You may want to access this photo without the https if your browser is locked down...

Dave Osborne

Yah. I normally trim that... Side effect of Gallery2 - likes to default to https:// in case I log in (!)

Reply to
Tim Watts

In that case, the outlet from a standard trap is going to end up too

*high* for the hole in the wall, and you want one with a *lower* outlet

- which is opposite to what you originally said.

Reply to
Roger Mills

If that puts the Hepvo too far back, as it did with a sink that I fitted (half of the trap would have been in the wall!), bring the 90 deg. knuckle forwards and put in 180 deg. of adaptor(s) then the Hepvo will stay inside.

Using a Hepvo also frees up a lot of space on the top shelf. The 1.5 sink that I fitted had 2 traps(can't see any point in that) and most of the shelf seemed to be occupied; the Hepvo leaves space under itself as well.

Reply to
PeterC

It's probably time I bit the bullet, took the old sink out, and offered the new one up. Seems like advance planning doesn't work with wastes.

Reply to
stuart noble

Right. Got it now :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

In which case a telescopic P trap should work, except that the shortest it can be is over an inch longer than the standard.

It must all be doing my head in.

Reply to
stuart noble

My last 1.5 sink had one trap. I regularly considered fitting two when the gunge in the pipe between the sinks began to fester. The only cure was dismantling and cleaning (with clothespeg attached to nose).

Current sink seems to be a better arrangement as it hasn't gunged up in the

18 months it has been fitted. Can't understand why the last one was a problem but it was, the gunge attached to the top of the pipe and couldn't be reached with bleach or other cleaners.
Reply to
<me9

I guess that the main outlet is generally from the 1-sink and the .5-sink gets little throughput, so the 'water' has time to fester. I have the same trouble with the basin in the bathroom (and the bath to some extent) as the volumetric rate is v. low and the traps never get flushed through.

When I get the tuit, I'll fit just 1 Hepvo to the pipe below the T and then there'll be no water held in captivity.

Reply to
PeterC