outdoor mosaic

I am hoping to make a new path up to our house and include some stepping stones in it with mosaic designs which will be frost proof and weather proof. I suppose I need to create the stepping stones and then place them into the path, but am looking for tips on the whole process as I have not tried anything like this before (other than a small mosaic tile kit). Can anybody advise as to materials, do's and don'ts...?

Reply to
misterroy

You can set any stones in a mortar bed you want.

I would think to star by laying a concrete substrate first with reinforcing mesh, so nothing shifts and cracks.

After that, strong mortar - use white cement and washed sand for a whitish appearance - and stick in whatever it is you want.

I believe that mosaics are then ground and polished from the top, but I don't know if that is just a vague recollection.

Sounds like a lot of fun really..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

that would get you terrazzo. Pretty, but more work.

NT

Reply to
NT

Ah. more to this coloured stone chip lark than meets the eye.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I imagine the Romans used very basic methods and many of their constructions remain today.

give a few hints, as may the creators if you care to contact them. I believe this sold recently for a higher sum but cannot find a link, or the newspaper!

My parents-in-law were curators of a Roman villa that was uncovered in S. England mid 20C. Think simple and think good quality. That is what makes a project.

N.

Reply to
Nick